Troubled times for Remington

Discussion in 'Firearm's Industry' started by prosa123, Feb 9, 2018.

1. prosa123

prosa123 Member

2. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

What has happened to the leadership of companies when they blame financial shortcomings on things that should have been planed for, are they more concerned for their income than the overall health of the business, Remington has had and is having problems, but I imagine they are still selling a lot of firearms, millions of 870's have been sold and are still being sold, because they're great as are 1911's and rifles, I've heard a lot of people that love their rifles. Sadly, there is a lot of foot shooting now days, it's too bad because in the process a lot of good businesses often go down the tube because of the lack of good leadership.

locutus likes this.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't count Remington out just yet.:p

4. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

They will adjust and ride it out.

locutus likes this.
  5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Trump has been terrible for the gun business. He wont be good for the NRA either. Gun makers will be donating to the DNC on the sly.

PaBushMan likes this.
  6. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Active Member

Every time we purchase goods made overseas when a comparable product made in the U.S. is available at a similar price, we chip away at the ability of American companies to continue in business. Added to our problem is the growing trend of foreign investors purchasing American production in everything from meat processing/production to beer, automobile, etc. To a foreign investor, the American worker is expendable. Skilled workers are being replaced by robots or the jobs/production facilities moved overseas.

I try to "buy American" whenever possible, but it gets harder all the time. Just sayin'.

7. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Remington Outdoor Company is not in charge of its own destiny.

Remington Outdoor Company, formerly Freedom Group, is owned by Cerebus Capitol Management, a huge private investment firm. Cerebus has been trying to sell Remington Outdoor since the stockholder backlash from the Sandy Hook massacre: There have been no takers. Meanwhile Cerebus is draining Remington Outdoor with charges for management, etc.

Same thing happened to Colt.

Remington Outdoor owns numerous companies. See all the Remington companies at the bottom of the link:

http://remingtonoutdoorcompany.co/

sheriffjohn likes this.
  8. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

When Remington grabbed the Russian baikal shotguns they should of took the saiga line of rifles and shotguns too.

The stock holders of any corporation want to see profits. Then the ceo and chairman and the board of directors get their bonuses. I’ve seen companies cut employees down to the bone to show a profit for the shareholders and again management gets their bonus. Their sales are in the tank but they look great on paper. How do they cover laying off people as part of their income. Operating expenses are down? Every corporation that tried this in the past are gone just give them time.

It’s all about the dollar.

Remington has been having quality problems since the mid 90’s they have been slipping down hill.

sheriffjohn likes this.
  9. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Active Member

Thanks for the link to Remington. To me, those listed are historically good quality product lines of which I either now own or have owned in the past with complete satisfaction. My son works for a similar company which owns over 40 outdoor related brands. According to him, the firearms companies rode the wave of increased firearms related purchases directly related to the expectation that Clinton would be elected and even more stringent controls would fuel ongoing firearms related purchasing.

Distributers bought and stocked as if this would continue. Alas, many are stuck with unwanted products. At the height of the .22 shortage, one company was turning out 9 million rounds a day. I pointed out that the only .22's available locally were the higher-priced "target" type, he said "If you only have one production line, you can run promo ammo selling at $20 a brick or target ammo selling for $35 a brick, which would you choose?" Now that the shortage is over, they've switched back to volume sales.

One company's stock was $51 in November of 2016. It was $11 yesterday.

alsaqr likes this.
  10. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

Now isn’t the time to sit back fat dumb and happy that’s how I feel. The president, any president could flip on us at anytime. Things could change. With these kids still shooting up schools. I ask the question what if Trump runs only one term who will our next president be?

kfox75, bluez and locutus like this.
  11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Who indeed!! NOW is the time to stock up, not after losing an election.

kfox75 likes this.
  12. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

The one guy on the left who really scares me (other than HRC and Obama) is Eric Holder.

Well spoken.. liked by the left...as a minority he is the new royalty for electability when it comes to modern american political discourse.. which he can also use as a shield when confronted with his many failings and flaws... highly intelligent and was instrumental in weaponizing DOJ+FBI for Obama..

Fun fact.. he was working for Janet Reno during Waco and some say he was the mastermind behind it..
    Another fun fact the entire WACO crew including him were exonerated (despite judges rulings of criminality) by none other than Robert Mueller....

If he gets elected.. well.. who has read "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" by Matt Bracken?

13. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

PS: Back on thread subject:

I am never happy to see businesses fold. Especially not those with such storied names.

godale likes this.
  14. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

We’re seeing many 100 years and older companies close their doors.
    I blame it on out siders who they hire to run things when they have no clue about the business. Theses once were family run businesses. When the orginal family passes on or a hostile take over of the stocks, they take over the company at 51% of the shares. They have no clue how to run it. Of course they shut it down. Back in ‘83 is a fine example of a company closing recession. With the interest rates at 21% interest on loans who’s going to buy new machine tools at a 1 million dollar price tag? It’s a chain reaction too. The parent company has parts supplied by vendors. The parent company fails the vendors company fail too. Then figure the cheaper machine tools that are imported too. We get torpedoed from both sides. Our machine tool industry is kaput. Example but it’s true.

15. Cesar

Cesar New Member

Its hard to believe that they would be going bankrupt.