Tripp Research mag ??

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by D.C., Sep 19, 2012.

1. D.C.

D.C. New Member

I was about to order a couple of Tripp mag's and wanted to know what 45 mag's to get. Is the 8rd removable base the best choice for Gold Cup? GM? What reason is there to choose the 7 round ones? any? I wanted to order a few at this time to combine shipping and don't want to regret not ordering more or a different model. Any input would be greatly appreciated. These mag's look like top shelf stuff. Thanks for being here. DC

2. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

I bought two before I had picked up my first 1911... Yes, they're that good!

3. D.C.

D.C. New Member

What model? 8 rd rb? 7?

4. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

They are the best. I now own 10 of them ( thanks cane) get whatever round count you prefer. Do it. Now.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I take it you have not searched this forum?

Those are the best according to those in the know and come highly recommended.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The Gen II Cobra Mag is a true 8 round mag. (Not a 7 round with eight stuffed into it!)

If you are getting the removable base mags (Model 8R-45-RG) you have two choices;
    1.) The poly base,

[​IMG]

2.) Or, the alloy base. Depends on your taste.

[​IMG]

Yes, you're getting the best!

Tripp Research, Gen II Cobra Magazines (I say that because they ARE the best....and NO they don't pay me to say it!)

[​IMG]

Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines Call Aaron @ Tripp (877.837.9445) and talk to him, he'll explain what's available and get you fixed-up with what you need. (Tell him canebrake said hi.)

Old school?
    Clean lines with no mag base protruding from the grip?
    Lighter carry weight?

[​IMG]

Gen II Cobra Mags are the only mags I use for carry.

7. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Can i buy those alloy bases without buying new mags?

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Cane and I fight like siblings, because he's old and likes Colt for some reason :rolleyes:

But here is my independent testing of HIS product.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/tripp-s-cobra-magazine-test-37011/

I carry ONLY Tripp's in MY carry 1911's, which means EVERY DAY I have to admit that Cane was right about something. *grumbling*

The Tripps are as GOOD AS THEY COME! :cool:

JD

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Nobody answered this one...

The only benefit of the 7-round is the flat base. My 2 cents is that a permanent base (much harder to clean) and one less round isn't a good idea. I think 8 rounds is the way to go. And then consider having some 10-rounders for the range and to carry on your belt as reloads.

EDIT: Cane actually did answer this one. But I'm betting he prefers 8-rounders...

10. D.C.

D.C. New Member

Thank you all, I'm ordering 3 8rb and 1 7wb. They look so high quality I'm looking forward to seeing them when I get back home from this work trip.
    I may have to buy another 1911 now thanks to you all enablers. CC? DW? shop specials? 460 rowland?, looks appealing, I'm thinking hard about this.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The 460 Rowland round is potent albeit expensive. (A must reload if you want to shoot often.)

[​IMG]

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yep, Call Aaron @ Tripp (877.837.9445)

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. D.C.

D.C. New Member

Thanks Canebrake, I was thinking of buying the springer RO from the guys at 460rowland.com to ensure I got a reliable/proven? one. I could save a few bucks by buying a new springer and the kit but then this weapon/round is unfamiliar and I want it to work if I get one. I'd enjoy reloading this even though an added expense for ammo/brass. it sounds a little too good to be true. Some reading I've done claims you may still shoot 45acp in it as long as you clean before rocking the 460 again. True?

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You may need to change the recoil spring to shoot the standard load 45ACP. Mine will shoot both with mixed rounds in the same mag (is JD around?) but then it's a Canebrake Colt!

The 460 is all substance and little hype. What's not to like about 44 Rem Mag performance in a 1911 auto loader?

Here's a good read:

Big Thunder II Vs. Fenrir: The 1911 .460 Rowland Build Off

[​IMG] 460 Rowland .... done the Canebrake way!

16. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I am just curious i won't be purchasing this any time soon if ever.
    Can you get a 1911 in 460 without having to buy the 1911 and then the upper?

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yes, scroll down to the bottom for info; (Too bad it's a Kimber!)

460 Rowland Complete Guns

Call Renee at CCG (318)949-9884 and tell her canebrake said hi.

18. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Thanks. And while i hate to make your ego any bigger. But i have liked the colts i have shot more than kimbers.

Though ruger revolvers are better than any colt *braces for the hit*

19. D.C.

D.C. New Member

Yes, they have one on this site. http://460rowland.com/
    under products/ pistol for sale. I think $1275 is the price for the springfield RO.
    This sounds quite interesting to me. Wheels are turning but I need more info. Even if you don't think you'll get one it's some very good reading about them here. thanks canebrake.

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

Have you shot a Python?

And my second choice would be my S&W M29 and/or M19.

There is nothing wrong with Rugers, I own three.

YMMV

[​IMG]