Trimming a gas tube.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by BigSe63xy, Oct 9, 2010.

1. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

I accidentally ordered the wrong length gas tube the other day and I was wondering if it would be possible to cut it down a little bit and if it was safe to do so.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Big - The gas tube is essentially just a return agent. If the tube is too long for your application, taking a plumbng type pipe cutter and shortening the length should not hurt anything provided the diameter is the correct size for your application.

Not knowing what you have in your hands, or what you own, I can't know for sure, but odds are very good they are the same and just difference lengths.

Cut the tube down to size and run a couple of pipe cleaners down it to make sure you get any metal fragments out.

Install and cycle test. :)

JD

3. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Thanks a bunch. I wasn't sure so I wanted to bounce it off someone else before I tried it.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

It's really not a complicated platform. If it's brand new, there shouldn't be any issues.

If you had one that had a ton of use and you swapped it from one gun to another, you might have a cycling issue. *shrug*

It's pretty much just a medium to send gas thru. As long as the gas pressure getting through is the same as the spec level for what your spring and seals are rated for, you will be fine.

I would be more concered if you were changing from a long barrel front sight gas block, to a short barrel, mid length and wanted to ad hoc a gas tube.

I don't think you will have a problem.

Good luck and post your results for the next guy who is interested. :)

JD

5. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Do you have a way of accurately drilling new holes in the center of the tube?
    (Gas port & tube retaining pin.)

6. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

I will. :D
    I was planning on cutting the other end off.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Just my opinion but why go through all the trouble and effort...they cost $15...order the correct one and see if anyone here wants to buy the one you have now.

8. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Cause I'm impatient. If I can can do this minor modification I can go shoot it this weekend. :D:D:D

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Ok now I understand...trigger jones. :D

10. Highpower

Highpower New Member

That's what I was afraid of. You'll be cutting off the mushroomed end that seals inside the gas key. But you might get lucky and not have any cycling issues.

[​IMG]

11. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Ahhh. I see. There probably isn't any way to do that myself is there? I better just get a new one.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Highpower has brought up a very good point. *respect*

I don't "personally" believe that you can not do this yourself if you can make a mild mod, I do respect that from an on line "respect" perspective he is 100% correct.

For $15 - You are correct, and the safest, to order a new one and get as tight a fit as possible.

I do believe that you could make the mods yourself - but the safest way is to order a new one.

Let us know what you do, how it works for you and what the final cost result was if you could please.

JD

13. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

I think I'll just buy a new one. I can wait if I have to. It's not worth the risk.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I was thinking the same thing and also wondering if cutting it off on the upper reciever end would mess up the alignment because of the bend in the gastube.

15. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Mind you, I'm not saying it can't be done. But for the cost of a new tube, it just seems impractical to me. Normally you would replace the tube when the "mushroom" wears off at the receiver and causes gas leakage. (Due to misalignment of the tube & gas key...)

J.D. is correct in that, it is no guarantee that you will have cycling issues however. But if you cut it off and the gun starts having problems, the worst you are out is the cost of a new tube, assuming you get it aligned correctly (the bends mentioned above) and don't damage the gas key.

Thinking outside the box, if I HAD to shorten a tube (SHTF) -- I can only think of three possible solutions, and all three involve the use of a TIG welder (not found in most peoples garage) seeing as how you are working with a stainless steel tube. I actually had a fourth idea, but don't know how I would accomplish it. JD: Can we compare notes? How would you go about doing the mod? I'm always up for learning new things.

Big: It's up to you if you want to cut off the end of the long tube and give it a try. I'm sure there are a LOT of folks here that would be interested in hearing the results, if you wanted to do some experimenting. If not - no harm, no foul. :)

16. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Alright I've done some looking around and I can't figure out what size I need. Can someone help me out? The barrel I got had this description...

"MADE FROM 416 STAINLESS STEEL. 6 GROOVE RH TWIST. BUTTON RIFLED. CHAMBERED IN 5.56 NATO. 1-8 TWIST. .750" DIAMETER UNDER FRONT SIGHT BASE/GAS BLOCK. COMES AS SEEN IN PICTURE WITH BARREL EXTENSION AND EXTENSION PIN INSTALLED. THIS BARREL ALSO HAS THE GAS HOLE PRE-DRILLED FOR YOU!"

Also, here is a picture if it helps...

Attached Files:

• gun.jpg
      gun.jpg
      File size:
      56.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

thats a carbine length gas system.

18. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

If you can, mark off where the hole is drilled on the barrel(such as with a Piece of tape or some such thing,
    UNLESS the hole is just out side the handguards. Did you build it all yourself?

19. BigSe63xy

BigSe63xy New Member

Yes. It's just outside the handgaurd and I did build it all myself.

20. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Cool cool then Perfect:)