Triggers: Wanna replace mil-spec

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by blackguns3000, Jan 1, 2012.

1. blackguns3000

blackguns3000 New Member

I have a smith and wesson _M4_m+p ar setup. Served me well for a year and a half with no problems, LOVE this gun, its my fav in my collection and I think my favorite gun made period. So solid and damn accurate for only 16".
    The only thing I might want to change about the gun is the trigger assembly. It's a hard pull.
    Anyone have an edjucated oppinion on what I should go for in terms of a smooth, light trigger? I know that this assembly is durable, but I'd like a durable and SMOOTH trigger pull. The smoothest and best out there. Not worried about it wearing out because if its quality AR parts then its gonna serve well. Of course. ARs are the best built machines in the world! Honk if you agree!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'm curious where you came across the term milspec, blackguns. How has it caught on in the vernacular of the internet and where? Video games, other firearms sites? It just seems we've had a rash of new people this holiday season who come in "preloaded" with certain buzzwords. While the M&P-15 is a good rifle it isn't "all milspec" as you say, to be so it would have to meet or exceed the military TDP. Only Colt and FN actually do plus a few other companies come very close.

Anyway, do you want to spend a hundred or two for the "smoothest and best out there" or just want a lighter military style trigger? Many options out there and I'm sure you'll get more replies.

3. blackguns3000

blackguns3000 New Member

Didn't get my termanology from the internet and I don't play vid games.I guess milspec is the wrong word. I started saying it thinking I know the lingo when I might have had the wrong idea. I'm NOT sure the whole thing was built to at-least military quality standards, Idk much about the Armys standard for how many pounds of trigger pull is on their m4s or if there even is a standard.
    Yeah I just want my trigger to be lighter, maybe around 4-6 lbs I wanna say, or is 4 too low a number? Idk, I'm just throwing ideas out there, estimates I come up with using the information that I know.
    Are there any particularly easy-to-pull-off tricks I could use to just tweak the parts in the lower that are there now? I know a gunsmith could do some amazing things using just what's there if they have to. I'm definitely not claiming to be a pro, just wondering if there is something I could do to lighten that pull a little.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

A lot of people nowadays call anything bone stock "mil spec". This is both right and wrong to some degrees. As was stated, mil spec is actually a pretty specific category, but mil spec is also pretty basic and bone stock.

OP, I don't have much experience with civilian ARs, nor aftermarket trigger assemblies, but many people swear by timney. There are several different makers on the market, and I've handled a RRA with their proprietary two stage trigger installed and it was VERY nice (you have to say that like Borat)

Timney also makes an adjustable model I think.

5. blackguns3000

blackguns3000 New Member

An adjustable option would be cool. Wasn't aware of that bein existant

6. blackguns3000

blackguns3000 New Member

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

IMO, the best $125.00 I have spent on an AR is a Rock River Arms 2 stage trigger. For another $25 or so you can the RRA chrome 2 stage national match trigger.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I just recently put a Geissele SD3G and it is great.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Triggers are an integral part of you tool.

How do you use your ar15? Plinker? Range toy? Primary HD/SD? What distances do you shoot?

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The Rock River 2 Stage is the way to go for the quality and the money. They are excellent triggers and you can find them if you shop around for $100 or less sometimes. The start out good and get better as they lap in smoother around 100 rounds! You will not believe the difference. 1 lb free travel in the first stage and 3.5 lbs on the break!

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I have read some real negative stuff on the RRA 2 stage. Lots of talk about how they can become quite "spongy". Any weight behind this or is it just not a high round count trigger?

12. QFive

QFive New Member

Really, I always thought the First stage being controlled by the trigger spring was the bulk of the pull and the break was significantly less due to the seer engagement at that point being less than a hair. 1lb first stage with a total 3.5lb trigger would mean 2.5lb break on the seer engagement.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  13. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

Upgrading your trigger all depends on what you like and are familiar with...single stage or 2 stage. It also depends on how much money you're willing to spend on a new trigger. Me, I like single stage triggers. I'm currently using a DPMS stock trigger in my AR, but like you I'm thinking of upgrading my trigger, but I'm not willing to part with 150 or more dollars for that trigger. The 2 options I've found, with great reviews from other shooters and forums, is either Bill Springfield or the Mega Tactical trigger. From what I understand you can't go wrong with either one. On top of asking other shooters, be sure to do your own research on what you want. Other shooters have their own preferences...just because they like something and haven't had any problems with it, doesn't mean it's the best option for you.

14. Fumbles

Fumbles New Member

I bought the Geissele SSA but I have yet to put it in. I watched the video of Mr Geissele showing how to do it and in the video you see something go poiyoyoiyoioing and fly up in the air right at 4:52......ooookeh! LOL!! Supposed to be super triggers.

15. QFive

QFive New Member

Have you shot any 2 stage triggers before? Any buddies have them?

16. Fumbles

Fumbles New Member

Are you asking me QFive?

17. QFive

QFive New Member

No, I was asking the OP. On the same note keep us informed of how you like the SSA.

18. BCMjUnKiE

BCMjUnKiE New Member

Any thoughts on the Timney Skeletonize Drop in 3.5lb. trigger?