Trigger stop

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by progolfer_iii, Mar 7, 2012.

1. progolfer_iii

progolfer_iii New Member

Firing pin stop

Where the firing pin stop meets the slide, there's a "bump" when it slides past the hammer. Is this normal? Should I smooth it out? It's a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm. It looks like the stop is too short.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Replace the dern thing. If you smooth it out and then later get a longer firing pin stop, you create another problem.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You need a better camera. Not much help with those pics.

The slide doesn't "slide past the hammer", it cocks the hammer.

4. progolfer_iii

progolfer_iii New Member

Sorry, that was with my phone. I'll get some good pics posted. :)

Cane, after the hammer is cocked, I can manually rack the slide and feel a "bump" or a "catch" where the firing pin stop meets the slide.

Does that make sense?

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I may be confused but it seems you mite get a "bump" if it was too long but not to short? I would NOT smooth anything out - Get another stop- Dont cost nothing much ---

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

golfer, does the FP stop move around? With the slide locked back can you move the stop, up/down or side to side?

When the stop is loose the extractor can rotate and change the extractor's geometry resulting in FTEs.

It can also change the geometry of the hammer/FP stop interface and induce a side-loading force on the hammer pin.

If you can feel a "bump" or a "catch" when racking the slide with the hammer cocked, something is wrong. (Unless what you're feeling is the disconnector going in or out of the release trench.)

Post pics and point to the area where you think the problem exists. And/or the area you think needs filed. DO NOT file anything yet!

7. progolfer_iii

progolfer_iii New Member

Yes, the stop will move up and down. It's hard to get a good picture but i think you can see the lip when the stop is pushed up.

Attached Files:

8. danf_fl

Let me see if I understand.
    Hammer cocked. Pulling slide to rear and you feel a bump.

Does it happen when the firing pin stop meets the cocked hammer or before?
    If before the firing pin stop hits the cocked hammer, then it has to be disconnector. The disconnector is moved from that little slot as the slide moves over it. The "ledge" below the firing ping stop should not be enough to worry about unless you see part of the hammer being scraped away.

There also the possibility that the hammer has a burr where the "ledge" is hanging up.

9. progolfer_iii

progolfer_iii New Member

Here's another pic. You can see the hammer sitting on the lip. When I slide the slide back, the hammer moves down at the stop but them catches on the lip.

Attached Files:

10. progolfer_iii

progolfer_iii New Member

Dan, maybe I SHOULD be looking at the hammer? There is a flat spot. Looks normal though.

Attached Files:

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The "bump" you are feeling is normal. It's when the FP stop forces the hammer down at it's rear travel terminus. I had to get two of my 1911s out of the safe to see/feel what you were talking about.

[​IMG]

That slight "bump" is something I've become accustomed to. I had to cycle the slides several times, with the hammer cocked, to re-discover this tactile sensation that I have come to filter out as normal.

This photo shows the uneven application of force to cock the hammer. The witness mark shows what appears to be more force applied to the right side of the hammer. I bet if you inspect the hammer pin you can see this condition causing uneven wear.

[​IMG]

I think this condition is caused by the FP stop rocking/rotating in the slide, or, the stop has worn and/or was not machined perpendicular to the slide's vertical plane. If this interface with the hammer isn't square it will induce side-loading on the hammer pin.

12. progolfer_iii

progolfer_iii New Member

Thanks Cane, I'll replace the stop and check the hammer pin. The black on the hammer was just a little oil but it's obviously the first place that touches the stop.

13. danf_fl

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Look beyond the oil and you will see that the shiny wear mark is tapered and is narrower as you go left. I figured the black spots were just flotsam and was looking at the witness mark.

For the best FP stop replacement I go with the EGW Oversize part. This is not a drop-in part, however the smithing required is something most of us can do.