Trigger recommendations for a SBR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AndyRexia, Feb 24, 2014.

1. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

I'm buying parts for my SBR build while I'm waiting on the paperwork. I'm not sure what trigger to go with. CQB applications. Any recommendations? There are lots if different ones out there and I'm wondering what triggers you SBR owners are using.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

ALG QMS would be my choice. Crisp and clean, $40-50 combat trigger. I have them in most of my ARs. I've also been pretty happy with the triggers that come in PSA kits...for whatever reason the basic milspec triggers in their LPK/LBK have always seemed pretty clean.

I only consider superlight $200 triggers for precision/varmint rifles.

3. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Thanks for the reply. What's the lbs pull on that trigger? I really like crisp single stage triggers. I've used PSA mil-spec triggers and they are nice but I'm looking for something a little more unique for this build.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

QMS is a really clean 5-8lbs. Generally closer to 5 than 8 in my experience. But QMS does stand for Quality MilSpec...as in, milspec weight (only fires if you really mean it) and milspec durability.

5. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Also check out the ALG Combat ($65) with the JP reduced springs kit ($10). I loved that combo before my SSA & SSA-E.

6. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Triggers I have experience with are PSA mil-spec, Spike's battle trigger, and a Timney. I've honestly liked them all, just wanted something different.

7. Mercator

Mercator New Member

You said combat application. If you mean it, you need a combat type trigger. A competition trigger may present a hazard. The SIG SAUER rifles have the trigger pull just about right.

8. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

SSA-E is hard to beat for a cqb type rifle. The ALG and reduced springs are a good second choice. Timneys are in all of my varmit builds but not a good choice for a carry rifle.

Maybe take a look at the brass bushed cmmg trigger. With the reduced springs its supposed to be pretty special. Would look great with a set of KN non rotate pins...:D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  9. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Any idea what triggers they use?

10. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Gotcha. I'll check those out. I wish I could test all of these before I buy.

The CMMG is 2 stage? Was looking more for a single stage.

11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Look up Bill Springfield.

12. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Yea 2stage all the way. The only guns ill put a single stage in are varmiters that are never carried loaded. Just too easy to get a bump fire with a single stage, especially a light one.

13. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Not sure. Checked the web site - looks like SIG is not selling them separately. The idea is, a stiff pull with a crisp break. The Wilson Combat trigger group is similar but feels lighter.

Just read the above ^^^ agreed

14. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

I really loved the Timney single stage 3lb and 4lb triggers until I put an SSA in my SBR (8.2" 300BLK and 10.5" .223 Wylde uppers).

I prefer the two stage SSA now.

The SSA-E might be a little light for a real CQB rifle.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014