Trigger locks

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by xxbrooksxx, Sep 4, 2012.

1. xxbrooksxx

xxbrooksxx New Member

Can anyone recommend to me a good trigger lock system. My wife and I are adopting and we have to have them on the guns for safety reasons.

Thanks,

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Nothing major different from one to the next. I have all different brands and they all work. I would avoid the 3 digit tumbler type they are way too easy to get into. I would suggest getting them all keyed the same.

3. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

^^Ditto. Major retailers (Dick's, Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc) will have keyed alike locks in 3-5 packs. Attempt to get these, otherwise you'll end up like me.

image-3211794135.jpg

I just use a gun safe now...

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Is a safe an alternative? I would rather have my firearms in a safe than using trigger locks.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Should really have both.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

This.

If one owns multiple firearms, one should own a safe anyway. No need to spend a fortune either. Hit up Craig's list or whatever passes as a local classified ad listing and get one that someone outgrew for pennies on the dollar.

Besides, didn't all your guns come with those annoying cable locks? ;)

7. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

When I was adopting my daughter all I had to prove was that they where put up and away. We locked them in a closet.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

If money is an object, they sell gun "cabinets" that are much less expensive (and less fire-resistant) than gun safes. I use all my trigger locks as padlocks on fence gates and footlockers and such, darn handy.

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Best yet , I saw some old school locker or gym lockers that has been converted to store guns in and I found several last yr for $60 each and there were 3 of these bolted together and you use a lock on each door . you could store alot of stuff in those for $60

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

depending on the age of the adoptee start teaching firearm safety and responsibility early and often. then start teaching marksmanship. the best child safety is raising the kiddo to be responsible around firearms.

that being said, a gun safe is the best solution with one of those finger activated units for any self defense pistols in a handy location.

the trigger locks that go through the trigger guard and clamp on are incredibly unsafe. they can still be used to fire the gun with a little ingenuity. there was a case about a decade ago where a kid shot his brother with the trigger lock in place. the parents chose to rely solely on a mechanical device as they thought that teaching a kid gun safety was "dangerous"

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I started with a cabinet. Then upgraded to a real safe when I realized the value of my collection. I have a bunch of trigger locks in a box out in the garage. I have no use for them at all. You can even buy a small pistol safe at Harbor Freight for like $40.00 I have one bolted to the shelf in my bedroom closet.

12. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

13. Oblivion9

Oblivion9 New Member

I started with $25 keypad lock boxes from harbor freight. They jeep guns locked away. They won't prevent theft but they keep kids out.

Moved up to a larger one for $100. Keep all my ammo and non carry pistols. It was 85 pound empty. It will deter smash and grab thieves...two guys and a truck no.

I only use trigger locks on my rifles...

Also three digit combo locks can be hacked in two hours if you have to go through all 999 combinations or 5 mins if you get lucky. I don't trust them. Much prefer 4 digit.

14. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Any reason you want a trigger lock as opposed to something like this
    http://omegagunlock.com/autopistols.htm ?

I also want to piggyback on those suggesting a safe. I bought a gun cabinet for around $100 from one of the big box stores and while it's no safe and not fire resistant for more than seconds, it will keep children and wandering guests from getting into trouble at my house.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  15. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Omega Locks...

I agree on the cabinet, Stack On makes good ones for decent prices. I have never seen that Omega but from the looks of it, it appears as though it may take longer to get that off than a trigger locking device. Add to that the fact that I have to stick something down the barrel of my gun, possibly at in the dark? I don't think that's for my guns. Does anyone have experience with these Omega locks?

16. FAS1

FAS1 Member

Consider a good quality handun safe for your HD gun. That's the one you will need in a hurry, but with kids it needs to be secure as well. The others could go in a cabinet while you save up for a safe.

17. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

A few years ago we had temporary custody of my SO's sister's son, so I started looking at trigger locks. But everything I read about them, and saw first hand told me that they were worthless. The ones I checked out that could be taken off fast enough to use for SD could also be taken off with a simple smack of the lock, and the ones that didn't come off from bumping were a pain to get off with the key, or combo. So I bought a safe, and one of those bedside finger safe's for our carry guns. If we weren't carrying, they were in that finger safe.

18. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Seriously do. It even bother with a trigger lock. It can be taken off in 15 seconds with a small screwdriver. I am interested in the Omega locks. Anyone have any experiences with it.

19. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I have no personal experience but they get high marks on another forum i visit.

20. xxbrooksxx

xxbrooksxx New Member

Whats the difference with omega locks? What makes them so good?