trigger happy

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by quadrail74, Dec 7, 2013.

1. quadrail74

quadrail74 New Member

Hey all...just wanted some opinions on which trigger to buy for my first ar build...I've been told TIMNEY is the way to go...but I'm open to suggestions....

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

You building a benchrest shooter or a three gun type AR?

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you are building a general shooter, why are you going to spend $200+ on a set up that should cost $40?

4. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Geissele SSA or ALG Combat with JP Reduced Springs Kit.

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Expensive triggers have their place, but we're talking about a specific role (varminting, bench shooting). I like the $200 Hipertouch on my range rifle, but wouldn't want anything that light for general purpose type shooting.

I prefer the $40 ALG QMS for most of my rifles. YMMV.

6. quadrail74

quadrail74 New Member

I'm building a 5.56/.223 AR to go 400+ yrds out...possibly for competition shooting...I prefer a 3-3.5 lb trigger pull single stage....

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

I put a timney in my precision ar. Wish I had gone giesselle or cmc. My cmc in my bcm feels better and my wife's giesselle ssa is better. Even my rra two stage match in my a2 is better.

8. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

cmc single stage flat bow tactical 3.5lbs trigger. Never look back. I'll say what I always say, if you buy it and don't love it, I'll buy it from you. They're that good.

9. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

I echo Broke...the CMC trigger is a 3.5# module that requires 5 minutes to install as it is a self contained unit. I prefer the standard curved trigger for every day shooting but the straight is the way to go for bench or varmint.

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

First of all if you want a good trigger and do not want to spend a bunch of money. I would suggest going with a Rock River Arms 2 Stage National Match Trigger. They also come in chrome as well. But are simply a drop in and is a great trigger for around $100 if you shop around. It is very smooth and smoothes even more after a couple of hundred rounds. And if you want to make it better add some KNS Anti Rotation Pins!

11. quadrail74

quadrail74 New Member

Thanks Broke and IBMikey....I was on the fence between the Timney and CMC. I've done some reaserch on both companies seem to pitch the same advantages in their product...it just comes down to which feels smoother....

12. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

my offer stands. CMC

13. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

I have used ALG ACT, Timney, American Tactical Gold and Rock River National Match. Out of these my favorite would be the Rock River National Match.

14. jasonlarue1013

jasonlarue1013 New Member

maybe I'm not doing something right but I can't tell the difference with JP reduced springs

15. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I did compare them and measure with the trigger pull gauge. And the JP kit turned out to be the lightest pull, 3 - 3.5#.