Trigger Guard Hitting Knuckle

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by ColColt, Nov 7, 2010.

1. ColColt

ColColt New Member

I was at the range Friday trying out my newly acquired S&W 6906 and next to me was a guy with a SP101. We talked about it for a while and he let me shoot it. It wasn't all that pleasurable in that the rear trigger guard kept whacking my knuckle. I guess that was the deciding factor of whether I was going to get one or not and that little experience settled it for me.

Yesterday they had a gun show and I saw several SP101's and picked one up to see why shooting one had bothered my knuckle and it seems it was nearly right up against the trigger guard. So, I tried a S&W 3 inch 686 and it was a bit further away but still close and I can imagine I'd experience pretty much the same thing with it. Maybe I'm bound to just shoot the autos. Sad as I really liked the SP101 and the 686+ in 3 inch as well but, neither am I into pain. Maybe I'm doing something wrong as there's plenty of people who have both these revolvers and I've heard no complaints.

2. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Which knucle is it hitting? The main on on your finger (middle one)? Im not sure how you're gripping the gun but I don't see how it could hurt the only knuckle that should be inside the trigger guard (the one closest to your fingernail)

3. dallascj

dallascj New Member

I experienced the same problem with my SP101 in .327 magnum. I just bought a Hogue Monogrip for it which seems to eliminate the problem as fills the gap between the triggerguard and gripframe. My knuckle is not against the triggerguard now. Unfortunately, I don't have any ammo for this thing so I haven't had it back at the range yet.

4. ColColt

ColColt New Member

It's hitting the middle finger knuckle. The trigger guard is right up against it when I hold it and I'm sure under recoil it's bashing against the knuckle.

In both the SP101 or the 686+ with Talon grips those are the ones I like and wouldn't want to have to change the grips. That is one factor why I've looked at both-I liked the factory grips-especially on the 686+ with Talon grips.

[​IMG]

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Just shave down your knuckle. Problem solved. :)

Seriously, that sucks. For defense, it won't matter and you won't feel it, but at the range it will be murder on you. A good friend has a Makarov that we shoot when we get together and it always makes my thumb knuckle near the web sore and bruised if I shoot it enough. I just shoot through the pain and then gripe about it for a week or two after. I would still love to have one for myself and I would carry it without concern.

6. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Oh oh oh, I get it, your middle finger knuckle is hitting under the trigger guard, haha. I thought you were talking about your finger inside the guard.

7. ColColt

ColColt New Member

Maybe I could Dremel a little skin off to aid in better separation between trigger guard and knuckle...yep, that's the ticket. Wish it were that easy. I'm just not into pain so there must be a better solution than changing out good looking grips.

I'm so use to shooting autos and it's been literally decades since I've fired a revolver, perhaps I've forgotten how to hold them. I'll have to just rethink this.

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My experience with revolvers are that wood grips are for pictures and display and rubber grips are for shooting. I have pretty wood for all of mine, but I shoot with Hogues or Pachmayrs...

9. ColColt

ColColt New Member

Since I'm apparently not the only one on this, why don't those rubber grips come from the factory that way? That's like buying a new car and putting old tires on it. It Don't make sense to me. I didn't have that problem with the M28 or M25 S&W. Maybe the Ruger just doesn't fit my hand. I haven't shot the 686 S&W so,k maybe they're not much if any problem. There will be no SP100 in my future, however.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  11. ColColt

ColColt New Member

It could just be the SP100...I don't know. I'd like to try the 686+ I showed and perhaps the S&W SSR. The grips on it look like it puts your middle finger knuckle further away from the trigger guard and it's a good looker to boot.

Attached Files:

12. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

^^^+1 On my SuperRedHawk I had the same problem. My middle finger felt like someone was hitting it with a hammer. That was with the Ruger factory grips. I installed a Hogue Mono Grip and the problem was gone. AAA for the Hogue Mono Grip..

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

14. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Great looking gun by the way.

15. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

I come across that problem as well when I shoot my dad's Model 29 in .44 mag. I think you may just have to concentrate on changing your grip. I found that the trigger guard whaks the top of your knuckle when the gun returns to your normal grip after recoil. Might be something as simple as gripping the gun harder with your off hand wrapped around the outside of the fingers on your right hand (assuming you shoot right handed. Vice versa if not).

16. WDB

WDB New Member

I have a S&W 586 (blued model of the 686). I shoot it often and never had that knuckle bumping issue. Several people have shot it and never mentioned that knuckle bumping issue. All I can add is check your grip (not the gips on the pistol, your hand placement).

17. ColColt

ColColt New Member

I think the main problem is the stock SP101. I solved that problem today...bought a Glock G30.:D Maybe next time I'll pursue a pre lock 686+ 3".

18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

A Glock over a Smith and Wesson??? Man I hope you already have a safe full of .357s in order to justify that decision. . . :confused:

19. WDB

WDB New Member

Yea a Glock might be the right choice for you.