Trigger failed to reset.

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by cvia, Dec 4, 2012.

1. cvia

cvia New Member

I have a M&P 40. I've shot about 500 rounds now and I had the trigger fail to reset last range trip. I tap and racked problem solved. Never happend again. I'm pretty sure I limped wristed it on the shot before. Was only using one hand for training purposes. Any ideas as to why this happened?

2. cvia

cvia New Member

Nothing?! Man. Must be in the wrong place then. Oh we'll.....

3. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Sounds to me like the mag wasn't fully seated. Most m&ps are equipped with a magazine disconnect safety that will not allow the firing pin to release when the mag isn't seated properly. When initially inserting your mag, make sure your giving it a good tap to ensure proper seating. Hope that works for you

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Did you eject a live round when you racked? If not, you did not have the mag seated properly. If you did, you may have a problem. How many rounds through the gun? after 1000 rounds or so, you may have enough debris inside to interfere with the proper functioning. I always recommend a good detail clean every year or 1000 rds, whichever comes first.

5. cvia

cvia New Member

Mine does not have the mag disconnect. It will fire with no magazine. It happened mid magazine I tap to check the magazine and racked out the live round. Then continued shooting. I clean the weapon well. It's been a one time thing.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Very strange. My best guess is a bit of debris hung up in there and cleared out. By Detail clean I mean stripping the frame and slide and cleaning ALL the nooks and crannies. You would be amazed what builds up in a firing pin/striker channel in a slide after only a few hundred rounds.

7. cvia

cvia New Member

I have not detailed it yet. I only take off the slide and barrel And spring. Then I clean every thing I can get to. I might have 750 through it and that's guessing high.