Trickin out my Mossberg Maverick.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by danolator, May 22, 2012.

1. danolator

danolator New Member

Hey all. This is my first attempt to convert an inexpensive gun into a more effective home defense device. Have the tactical stock I want on order. Now I move forward and need your help. Flashlight? Change barrel (stock is 18.5")? Sights? Don't care about everyone's advice on 00 Buck going through walls. That just means it goes through people and that's what will be in my gun. So learn me up from there please.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'd say the barrel is fine. Get a reflex sight. I prefer my light separate but if mounting is your preference go for it.

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Casting pearls to swine

Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
    Lipstick on a pig.

4. danolator

danolator New Member

Yea, I know it's a cheap gun. More interested in making it better for home defense versus showing it off.

5. oli700

oli700 New Member

it’s not a cheap gun, just inexpensive. What is you budget for a light ?

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I would bet there are more Mossys in homes for HD than any other scattergun out there :rolleyes:

7. danolator

danolator New Member

Don't have a clue. The stock I ordered cost about $125. Don't even know what sights and lights go for. All new to me. Not sure I need sights, but getting a visual on the target is fairly important.

8. oli700

oli700 New Member

Yeah, the bead is fully capable to do what you want in HD. Practice with the bead and you will be fast and accurate at HD distances. There is such a wide variety in lights that the money you want to spend on it will play a big part. Come up with a figure on the light and it will be easier to give you advice. The thing to remember is if at all possible get the light in LED ,they deal with recoil much better. Also lights that are deemed weapon lights have some cushioning or are built so that recoil isn’t abusive to the batteries. If the light is plastic that’s fine as long as it meets those requirements, it will last a while. Then there is the different ways to attach the light to the gun.....that depends on the light though

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I like Mossbergs but think of Mavericks as kinda disposeable. But I was just being extreme. Then. Now?

A $125 stock on a Maverick? Do they cost that much to begin with!?

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Dan, if you have the Maverick Model 88, most of the accessories and parts for the Mossberg Model 500 will interchange. the M88 is an economy version of the M500. nothing fancy, nothing pretty, but it works just fine. i have had two of them and have one right now. so look for accessories in Brownell's or MidwayUSA for your shotgun. also look at universal shotgun parts too.

11. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

ive put a lot of work into my model 500 but need to rethink my stock. I put a AR buffer tube on mine with a mako pistol grip and have a magpul stock. It looks great is and is collapseable but boy oh boy when putting slugs through it, I only want to shoot about five of them at a time. wowzer! i put rifle sights on it with a aftermarket 20" barrel with 7+1 capacity. I have a green dot on the toprail and it all works out great.

12. bunnymama5

bunnymama5 New Member

My HD is Mossberg Cruiser...5 plus 1.....not too heavy, something I can handle.

13. oli700

oli700 New Member

You would like this one……the Knoxx is really the only collapsible I would run on a shotgun. Like you said the AR style directs the recoil straight back. A conventional SG stock would be my second choice, a Hogue 12” LOP . It has the green dot reflex and the Vang Comp barrel with the forcing cone work done by Vang…..it is a puddy cat on full power slugs
    [​IMG]

14. danolator

danolator New Member

Anyone have the Knoxx Specops Gen II installed? Heard a lot of smack on the first model (literally smacked in the face) as it reduced recoil by redirecting it upward versus straight back. The Gen II spring is set at a different angle. Anybody have one installed?

15. oli700

oli700 New Member

Yeah, it broke and it didn’t feel any better than the Gen 1 when it worked. There also is a lot more plastic construction ion the Gen II. The Mossberg’s were the only SG’s with this problem but BH removed so much material from the grip for the rubber inserts that I don’t trust it at all. This one was mildly scary when it went, about 15 full power slugs and it broke under recoil.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you shoot the stock with proper technique it wont smack your face

16. danolator

danolator New Member

Dude! That looks down right nasty. I'm not finding any press on that defect.

17. oli700

oli700 New Member

There was a recall issued for Mossberg stocks only. They still don’t have them figured out either as far as I know. This was one of the first stocks they got back. After a couple of months got tired of waiting and had them send back a GenI

18. danolator

danolator New Member

THX. Googled that up and it certainly explains why mine is on back order. I still like the looks on that technology so I will wait.

19. oli700

oli700 New Member

cool, good luck !

20. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I have the gen I for my 870 and stance is key with that stock. You have to square up your stance instead of the 45° blade stance. The stock manages the recoil better. And I heard it was only a batch of the 500 gen II stocks were bad. After a date they were fine.