Trespassing

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dennis845, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

I can't believe people sometimes! A little history first. I moved to the country a few years ago and started having problems with people on occasion driving onto my property, for whatever reason, who knows. So, I installed a cattle gate leading to my house about 250 yds. away from the country road and chained it, installed two "Private Property, No Trespassing" signs on the gate with reflectors all over the place. Anyway, twice now, they have unchained the gate and drove up to my house to ask directions. Of course I know what the solution is and I'm going to buy a pad lock next time I'm at Wally World. I was polite and gave them directions and I'm the friendly type. But, after the second occurrence, it got my goat! Can't people read, do they think don't bother me stay off my property doesn't apply to them. Next time, and there will be, because the wife will be too lazy to put the lock back on, I think they will get a good look at my nice Remington Tactical 12 ga. pump. Think I might be over reacting a bit?

2. fmj

fmj Active Member

Just a touch....kinda.....its not like your going out in the woods and finding someone sitting in your stand. They are simply driving up the lane.

But yeah, the whole opening a gate and driving that far in might tend to get to me too.

3. 762

762 Member

we had this problem at grandpa's a few years ago.....so i dont think you're overreacting at all. what are gates for? to keep people out of a certain place, right? regardless of whether or not it was locked, that tells me that i'm not allowed to go there unless i have permission, am invited to, or i know the person whose property it is. on top of that it was chained AND you had 2 freaking signs? what the hell else do you need to do? dig a moat around your property with a drawbridge.

that irritates me and i dont even know you or where you live. i cant believe someone would have the nerve to undo a chain and drive up to a house like that. who gives a damn if they're lost, find someone else to ask directions. or buy a little thing called a map, maybe do a little google mapping before you drive out to the middle of nowhere. i'd post a "trepassers will be shot, questions asked later" sign if it were me.

4. fmj

fmj Active Member

LMAO...maybe these poor misunderstood folk dont know how to read much less read map.:rolleyes::D

Maybe you need a couple bull mastiffs and/or rottys to drive the point home...but then again, if it was me i would just pet the poor mutts and they would be my friends for life...but i just have that affinity with dogs, they ALL love me. Its humans i have trouble with.:p

I have read somewhere, sometime, some years ago where the whole "trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again" worked against the land owner in court when they DID have to shoot someone.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't think your over reacting a bit. I fully agree with 762, just what the hell else do you need to do? Do people open someones door and walk right into their home? Why should they open the gate and drive onto their property then?

Show them the shotty, and tell them "Get off my lawn."

6. vincent

vincent New Member

I don't think you're overreacting either. I DETEST unannounced visitors, that's just me. It's been my experience that an unexpected knock on the door is NEVER good news.

7. 762

762 Member

back when i was a project manager for a construction company, we were doing a paint job at house where 2 older folks lived. probably in there late 70's at the time. they had that sticker on almost every single door and window on the back of their house. it was pretty funny.

here in NC, if i understand the law correctly, you cannot shoot someone for simply being on your land. they have to be in your home, intent to do you or your family harm. i think farmers have the right to protect their crops and livestock, but i'm not sure about that. i know my grandpa would at the very least fire a warning shot if he caught someone messing with his cows.

8. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

It's probably more lack of brains on their part than any disrespect to your property.

Brandishing your wares may just result is a visit from the Sheriff, so you should think twice before showing them any hardware.

I suggest locking the gate, and that will thin out most of them.

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

If you are serious, invest in some signs...and follow through if needed. :cool:

Attached Files:

10. 762

762 Member

maybe you should just put up a sign to freak people out instead of scare them. something like "if you need directions, open the gate and come on up. the toad people and i would love to help."

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

And if someone should cut the chain? What then? At that point, IMO, they show intent if they are willing to cause property damage to gain access.

You are right though, locking the gate sends a very clear definite message to stay the hell out.

12. BB98338

BB98338 New Member

Tresspassing

You could try not answering the door and seeing what happens.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

When i was a kid, we learned that if you have to open a gate to get where you are going, you better have permission first; it's called manners.

14. fmj

fmj Active Member

we were taught if you open a gate, close the gate. If the the gate was open, leave it open.

But then again i come from a small farming community, and well respected family farm. The world was my play ground. It always went "Who are you?" I told 'em my name and they would say "Wills boy?" I'd so "no, thats muh gramps." They'd say "OH! you must be Bobbies boy! Have fun, be safe, tell that gramps and dad of yours i said hi." :)

Boy have times changed!

15. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There's an old saying in the South: "Good fences make good neighbors." You say you have a gate but is your property fenced in? If not, wire it up. I like Red Brand with 2 strands of barbed wire across the top.

Also, if you decide to put up a sign that says "Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again," don't buy a pre-printed sign. Spray paint it on a piece of old plywood and misspell a few words. Much more intimidating. :cool:

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I had the same problem the first year I moved into my home place. Middle of the night, people driving past the no trespassing signs, throught a thousand feet of woods and driving up to my home and blowing the damn horn for me to come see what they want. The question would always be something very lame and usually from someone very drunk. I often felt like I was being cased.

After deciding I was going to shoot the next one, my wife convinced me to buy an automatic gate opener. It is the best $300.00 I have ever spent. I have a numeric pad to get in and transmitters in my cars.

Since I installed the gate that problem has ceased. If they come in now, they will have had to "break" to enter which makes it a felony, where I live, instead of misdemeanor traspass.

Openers are reasonably cheap and last a long time, mine is solar powered so no need to run a mile of wiring. I have now had them for 15 years and have had to replace it once. (lightning)

17. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

On way in and out for cars.

The gate is for cars. Dogs are for foot traffic, they don't require batteries.

Those spikes sure looks effective, however, I doubt I could convince my wife to get out of her car in the rain to drag these across the drive. She would much rather just push the little button.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

19. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

this might be considered a ittle harsh but I would put this sign up and a picture of that faceless chimp attack survivor refering to it as the last person that wandered up your driveway looking for directions...:eek:

[​IMG]