Trench gun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by leam23, Mar 29, 2013.

1. leam23

leam23 New Member

What is a decent price to pay for a decent trench gun? I got a lead on a savage replica trench gun for just under 600$. I like the old nostalgic look feel of them but was wondering if this is an acceptable price considering I don't have any experience with one. It looks extremely clean and well maintained

2. seibert1903

seibert1903 New Member

I've seen a badass trench gun by Ithica for around $800 at cabela's.

3. leam23

leam23 New Member

Siebert you got my attention lol. I LOVE ithaca guns . At least the ones made in ny befor the collapse. And I want a trench gun so I think I'm sold. Now to just find a seller

4. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Take into consideration a Winchester '97 riot gun. They were popular with the Texas rangers and outlaws as well. The early ones were used by the military in the Philippines also. Mine was mfg in 1900 and have the letter from Buffalo Bill Museum verifying it's authenticity. They are selling for less money than the trench, but are both historical and great guns. Many are cut down '97's that are used by SASS. Try to verify their authenticity. They are dependable shotguns that can be slam fired and mine has an action as smooth as butter.

[​IMG]

5. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

norinco used to make a stunning 1897 Winchester trench gun replica, I've seen them for sale locally for $300 & change, they also made an 1897 replica with the 20" barrel & no heat shield that sell for about the same money.

or, you could make your own. get an old JC Higgins 12 gauge pump, buy a replica heat shield from Numrich arms for about $100, get a pipe cutter & go to town.

6. leam23

leam23 New Member

Don

Iike your idea of make your own. I have the perfect shotty for the project . Springfield 67 that I picked up cheap. I'm gonna go with it. Photos to follow. Thanks guys

7. 1911love

1911love New Member

+1 on the Winchester 1897. It's a classic Browning design. I've wanted one for a while, they fetch between $400-600 in my neck of the woods.

8. leam23

leam23 New Member

Looking at reviews and you tube vids it actually looks fairly decent for the money . I think I'll bite on in the next few months considering the availability . I will def give you guys a review complete with photos and vids when/ if it happens

9. -06

-06 New Member

Have an old S&W tactical that is smooth as silk. No exposed hammer and the front pump handle has a dime sized chunk out but it works fine.

10. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Depending on your budget, whether you intend to use the slam fire feature, or shoot it at all, you can get the Norinco 97s at the low end, or you can look for the Winchester models with specific serial number series for more $. I believe the Ithaca 37 also can be slam fired.

11. 1911love

1911love New Member

What is slam firing?

12. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Slam firing is when you pull the trigger of a pump shotgun to fire and while holding the trigger back it's only necessary to keep pumping in order to fire the weapon. Shotguns manufactured today are not allowed to function that way. Each shot requires the pulling the trigger. Slam firing rapidly can be very devastating when up close and personal.

I used the old Ithaca model 37 Deerslayer while in LE, which you were also able to slam fire. Back then the Ithaca was my preferred shotgun compared to the Remington 870, which was also authorized.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  13. 1911love

1911love New Member

Thanks Gunsmoke. Can a Winchester 1897 slam fire?

14. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

You're very welcome and yes, the old '97 Winchester can be slam fired.

15. 1911love

1911love New Member

Cool, I've really been wanting one. I saw some at a gun show recently that were around $500-600. What would be a good price for an early model?

16. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

There are many cut down 1897's that are being inaccurately sold as original riot guns and some are just an honest mistake. Trench guns are more difficult to fake for obvious reasons. Original riots have 20" barrels that are all stamped "cyl" and are usually non take down, though some later versions were take down.

But even a cut down version in nice shape can bring $500. They're very popular with cowboy shooters. A good original riot will bring an average $700 and up depending on condition, though prices for everything lately has gotten insane. A $1000+ asking price would not be unusual if in beautiful condition.

These shotguns lead the way for standards used on all other pumps that followed. Mine was mfg in 1900, which proves if taken care of they can last well over a hundred years. An actual letter from Winchester guarantees it's originality. With their exposed hammer they're great looking guns too.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  17. 1911love

1911love New Member

Thanks again Gunsmoke. I'm going to do some more research and prob pick one up as money permits. Now if I could only figure out how to save up enough for a BAR and a Superposed!

18. 1911love

1911love New Member

Gunsmoke, how are they to field strip and clean? Are parts available?

19. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I've never had any reason to take my pumps apart. I simply use my cleaning rod for the bore and first use powder solvent on whatever I can reach in the action. I then wipe it dry and oil it. I use gunslick on moving parts of all my guns as well, which really keeps the action smooth. Sometimes it's best not to take things apart, or even necessary. There were many 97's made and there should be parts available, but I've never needed any.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  20. 1911love

1911love New Member

Thanks Gunsmoke. Now comes the hard part, finding the cash for a 97.