Tree Stand

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SirIsaacNewton, Jul 7, 2009.

1. SirIsaacNewton

SirIsaacNewton New Member

Hey Fellows and the occasional Lady. I just got this tree stand and used it this weekend. Pretty neat little get up and I thought since I enjoyed it and it is american made I would share the sight with you guys. Cougar Claw Tree Stands
    I actually went kayak fishing with the owners son this weekend and got to talking to him about hunting ended up trying out this new tree stand. My July 4th was great hunting and fishing holiday. I love leaving for a vacation and coming back with various forms of meat ;) Hope everyone else got to enjoy their Holidays.

2. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Interesting - what kind of meat can you harvest on 4th of July weekend and in what part of the country is hunting season open in July?

3. SirIsaacNewton

I guess you missed the part about fishing. Two Reds, 4 Speckled Trout, and 1 Large Flounder which provided a total of 16 filets. Four nice filets from the Flounder. Some of the pros of living in the South around the gulf and not upstate New York are that not all meat is red. I was on private land and shot "at" a couple of coyotes. I didn't even shoot from the tree stand I simply took it out of its box and gave it the once over and climbed with it. It seemed solid and like a nice product. I thought since I liked the tree stand I would share some info with the forum. If you would like a complete run down of my entire holiday weekend please befriend me on twitter and follow my hourly updates.

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Easy there Isaac, I was thinking the same as RL.

Nice to hear you enjoyed the fish.

5. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Don't get so defensive Binky...I didn't "miss the part about fishing", but I DID notice the part about
    Most people who can read would quickly draw the connection between submitting a post about a new tree stand and a statement about what a great HUNTING and fishing holiday you had and how successful you were at acquiring "various forms of meat". This is a firearms forum and there is a section on HUNTING, which is where you posted - there is no FISHING section, there's no section on Twittering, and I don't really give a rat's *** what you did on the holiday weekend or "twittering" your "hourly updates"... as far as "befriending" people, you would do best on this forum to make a better effort next time :rolleyes: Oh, BTW, if you were caught "taking a shot" at a coyote in NY in July you would be arrested for hunting out of season. Private land or not.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  6. SirIsaacNewton

Name isn't Binky.

Huh, I wonder where I got that idea from? Especially when you previously inquired with the following...

Hunting doesn't infer killing. I actually personally believe that making the kill is my least favorite part of hunting and since I can't fish out of a tree stand I felt like the Hunting Forum would be the appropriate place for the new thread. Don't worry about being caught in New York, I try to stay away from states that have/had representatives with the last name Clinton. I apologize for my defensiveness. I must have looked to far into his 1st post and mixed up early morning sarcasm with normal Yankee etiquette.

-Binky

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Dude, you could totally fish out of a tree stand. I've wished for one many times at overly wooded creek banks. :D

8. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Ok Twit (short for Mr. Twitter), my question was an attempt to find out if there is any small or large game hunting season open where you live, and since you chose to leave your location out of your USER CP I had no way of knowing what part of the country you are in - now that I know you are a transplant to Fla. from some "still- fighting -the-civil-war" southern state, your attitude makes sense.

For the record, unlike you "southern boys", "northern yankee etiquette" doesn't include serving up some fresh "yote" with our vittles and black-eyed peas...:eek:

9. orangello

orangello New Member

LOL! Those Southern women sure can cook; they can probably make almost anything taste good. I haven't tried coyote though. Chitlins weren't my cup of tea.

10. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Agreed! (did I just say that?!) I have literally "gone out on a limb" many times to cast into a pool holding a fat brown.

11. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

LOL - I have an old NAHC Wild Game Cookbook - some of the recipes in that book would gag a maggot...possum, racoon, beaver, armadillo....jeez:D

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Checked at lunch; raccoon are legal to hunt in the summer in my state (frogs too). I would not eat raccoon; i don't care who cooks it. Frog legs aren't bad from what i remember.

They call 'dillo "possum on the half shell" some places. (usually in jest)

edit* MS also authorizes hunting of nuisance animals from March 1 until deer season. That includes beaver, coyote, fox, nutria, skunk, and wild hogs. Good, i hate coyotes.

13. divinginn

divinginn New Member

Hogs and yotes are open season around here in ga and a big nuisance. Why the pissing contest?

14. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Here's a recipe for you:

The only thing I would add to this recipe is the part that reads "discard the liquid and spices" - to it I would add the "racoon". :eek:

If you'd like "Chick's Famous Crow" recipe, or maybe "Stuffed Muskrats"....just ask...:eek:

15. SirIsaacNewton

No pissing contest just a civil war reenactment. LOL. It helped me get by the day quickly. I have never ate coyote but I have had a lot of those things you referenced in your wild game book. RL357Mag Thanks for playing and if you want some "yote" I am selling it by the pound on GunBroker. I don't hate Yankees I married one. Got the best of both worlds northern attitude and northern cooking ability. Yikes.

16. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Good luck with that, I'll stick to spaghetti and meatballs, thanks just the same...

17. SirIsaacNewton

P.S. RL357Mag brown trout is for hippies and homos if you want some real fishing you need to make your way down south. Everything is better down here it is warmer, the woman wear less clothes, we have more fish, you can legally own/carry a gun, and marry your cousin (not so much legal but socially acceptable). Your 2nd amendment rights actually are upheld and in Florida you have no state income tax, just give up and move already. I will keep the Racoon warm for you.

Yours Truly
    -Twit

18. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

You should have learned after the first ***-whooping..:D

Browns, rainbows, brookies, Northern pike, steelhead, landlocked and King salmon, and your favorite...Large and smallmouthed BAY-***! just to name a few...

I'd love to leave this Liberal, anti-gun, tax-repressive sh!t-hole...but I do have a full carry permit, 20 acres of woodland with cabin, and I own my own business which does allow me to escape from time to time. Besides, Heating Oil doesn't sell too well down south..:D I did ask my son who's currently stationed at LeJeune to send me up a local real estate listing. It may be worth getting into another line of work to save on property taxes. One indisputable fact about living in upstate NY is that we have none of the weather concerns that plague the south and western states. No flooding, no tornadoes, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, no repressive weather systems and no draught. The problem is, the a$$holes in power know it.

19. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I believe you forgot muskies and walleye. Man I love steelhead fishing!! The North Coast Steelhead Alley is amazing for the hardest fighting freshwater fish ever!

20. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Correct Skull...I knew I didn't get them all, was just trying to make the point that while Fla. has the ocean, they got squat for freshwater species cause there IS no freshwater..:D