Traveling with a pistol across the country

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by veronica, Aug 2, 2012.

1. veronica

veronica New Member

I hope this is the right section for this question. One of my brothers is stationed at Ft. Stewart, Georgia and I plan on driving there. I don't have a CHL, but would like to take my pistol with me. Are there any Federal laws that cover the traveler and transportation of firearms? Would it have to be in a locked case? I plan on driving a pick up truck there and back, so there won't be a trunk to lock it up in. Does it have to be unloaded? I will be driving across Texas (no problems) then La, Miss, al and then Ga. Sounds so complicated! :( Thanks!

2. phildenton

phildenton New Member

is there a lock-box in the back of the pickup? thatd be where to store the pistol.
    somewhere separate for the ammo. look into the laws of each state, http://www.handgunlaw.us/ states have thier laws online, in order to verify the accuracy. if you have a lawyer friend who knows about gun laws give them a call.

3. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

All I can tell you is as soon as you get to Ga you can have it in your glove box ready to work. But put you vehicle info somewhere else. I think Al is the same but not sure.

4. Athlai

Athlai New Member

To travel though Alabama without a carry permit - you have to have it unloaded and carried in a separate compartment than you. Since you would be in a Truck - it has to be unloaded with both the firearm and ammo locked in some kind of lockbox.

5. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

Refer to Canebrake's sticky "Concealed Carry and Travel Resources" above. Lots of good info there.

6. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Can I ask why your taking it? Going to the range once you get there? Protection? My point is, if your taking it for protection what good is it going to do locked up? All im saying is the LAW wont be there to protect in most cases... So sometimes we have to take matters into our own hands...

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The self defense efficacy of a unloaded gun is on par with a 911 call.

8. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

" The 2nd Ammend is my gun permit "

Awesome

9. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

And please dont think im promoting breaking the law.... Im promoting protecting yourself at all costs from some of the crazy S.O.B's out there... I do have a CHL, but if i didnt, nothing is stopping me from getting home to my daughter every day.

10. cj84

cj84 New Member

In Mississippi your vehicle is an extension of your home. I don't have a permit but keep mine ready to go between the seat and console.

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Getting caught carrying without a permit is a great way to make sure you never get a permit. Follow the law. It is not hard to get a permit unless you live in one of our communist states like Californina or Illinois. I always research gun laws of states before traveling to them. I hate leaving my gun behind. But I do not carry illegaly. My carry permit is too important to me. If I am going to spend time in a state that does not recognize my colorado permit I do not bring my gun. I am talking about if that state is my destination. I would use a lock box to travel through unfriendly states on my way to a friendly one.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You will have a problem carrying onto the post at Ft. Stewart. Other than than, unloaded, in a locked case complies with the Federal Peaceable Journey Act, which trumps state laws.

13. Bootsdeal

Bootsdeal New Member

I'm a previous full-time RV'r and have traveled about 30 states, including some very unfriendly-gun states and always had a gun in my tow vehicle and in my travel trailer, strictly for the protection of my wife and I. I agree that sometime you just have to take the chance if you value your life while on the road, which I do. I've carried daily, 365 days a year, for about 50years, and only the last 5 years with a CHL. Never a problem, thank goodnesss. I always do my very best to maintain a very low profile and conduct myself as a gentleman, so I won't be asking for problems from leo's or anyone else. I'm not advocating that you break the law, I'm just giving my opinion. Stay safe.

14. veronica

veronica New Member

Its such ashame that the right to defend yourself traveling across the states entails going through unfree states that don't recognize the basic right of self defense. My pistol won't do me any good locked up and unloaded in a case if I need it. :(

15. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

out of sight out of mind :D .... don't give the 5.0 any reason to stop you and search your vehicle :cool:

16. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Aye!! Be smart

17. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

That is why most of us here on this site carry. It is sad that every states has different laws concerning what and how you carry.

The government passed all these laws that we are force to obey yet a criminal does not. How are we able to protect ourselves from the forces of evil when our hands our tied. Sometimes we have to break the law to keep ourselves and our family's safe.

I am not telling you to break the law, I am not saying that I have not broken then law, yet when it comes to protecting my family there is another saying that comes to mind, one that I believe in.

"I would rather be judged by 12, then carried by 6!"

Be safe on your trip and please tell your brother "Thank you" for his service, from one old soldier to another.

18. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

In LA your vehicle is an extension of your home. So you're safe there

19. MarkAD

MarkAD New Member

An interesting tidbit for you. When you are driving the RV local carry laws apply, But when you are parked for the night or parked for camping your RV is your domicle/home.