Trauma Kit

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by JTJ, Apr 1, 2018.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Seeing the Home Remedy thread made me think of this. A paramedic in the Jeep Club put some basic trauma kits together at a very reasonable cost for members. Jeeps go in remote places and the club had several defibrillators for organize trips. I have added some items to mine to make it a more complete 1st Aid kit. I would really like to see a paramedic or trauma Nurse, Doctor or Medic put together a list for a decent kit with SHTF in mind. Not necessarily and end of the world kit but something that could save a life in a natural or un-natural disaster where emergency response is overwhelmed, non existent or delayed.
    Mine is in a 12" red tool bag and contains nitrile gloves, eye protection, face masks, blunt scissors, assorted bandages, gauze pads, Cool Blaze sterile burn dressing, antibacterial wipes, peroxide, cardboard splint and space blankets. I have added assorted bandaids, additional bandages, hand sanitizer, hemostat, bic lighter, and Wound Seal.

1911NUT, schnuffleupagus and Dallas53 like this.
  2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

excellent thread idea JTJ! :)

yes, i'd like to see some ideas and thoughts from the professionals in this field. for short term SHTF events or disasters. where one may need to rely upon themselves in a medical emergency. of nothing else just to stabilize the person until proper medical attention could be gotten.

JTJ likes this.

3. JTJ

This video deals with gunshot wounds and the kit is professional and not cheap.

schnuffleupagus and Dallas53 like this.
  4. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

One of the kids who worked for me a few years ago, is now an EMT. I bought two Rotopax first aid containers, and had her fill them.

Ghost1958 and Dallas53 like this.
  5. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Good basic kit. Might add Quikclot to it.
    Might lose the Bic and add waterproof matches. Less bang in case of a vehicle fire.
    Just a thought.

6. JTJ

I believe Wound Seal is the same as Quick Clot. The lighter was an afterthought. I also added some single edge razor blades. I am thinking of adding butterfly wound closures and some disposable shavers with shaving gel. Also wondering about a small bottle of distilled water or saline.

7. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

you can also find some of the basic field surgical kits at Army/Navy surplus stores sometimes.

JTJ likes this.
  8. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

"Simply Saline" might work!

JTJ and Dallas53 like this.
  9. youngridge

youngridge Active Member Supporter

I have a lot of items....but what I really need to do is consolidate them into a one pouch kit.

Some are in my vehicle, some are in the cabinet, some are still in the Amazon boxes...

schnuffleupagus, RJF22553 and JTJ like this.
  10. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Curious - what does the military use in their FA kits these days ? I had one Dad liberated from the Army Air Corps many years ago. A sturdy metal box with smaller cardboard boxes - triangular bandage, iodine capsules, wound dressing, etc. and ...smelling salts. Is there a source for the current similar military FA kits ?

11. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Add:
    Tape, shears, telfa pads - lots of telfa, superglue, fake stone, iodine, magnet, sponges, ace bandage, steri-strip tape, antiseptic cream (mythiolate or similar), field surgery kit, more tape, sutures, and med poly line, tape, energizer headband flash light, tape.

JTJ likes this.