Transporting Handguns Across country

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by greenr19, Apr 20, 2008.

1. greenr19

greenr19 New Member

I currently live in New Mexico where the handgun laws aren't that strict. I own three handguns, however in a couple of months I will be getting out of the military and moving home to Upstate New York. I am in the process of getting a pistol permit in New York, but it takes awhile and I will not have it by the time I move home. I plan on keeping them with my uncle who has a permit. The question is how can I drive home with my handguns without getting in trouble?

2. bkt

bkt New Member

Arrange to have your handguns sent to a FFL for transfer to your uncle. I'm in Rochester and if your uncle is relatively nearby I can recommend a good FFL.

Unfortunately, you can't be in possession of your own handguns until you get your NY permit.

What county are you applying in?

3. gnoll

gnoll New Member

He is right just mail them FFL to FFL
    unless you just want to resurch every states laws !?!

4. Zappa

Zappa New Member

This isn't necessarily true. The Gun Owners Protection Act of 1986 allows for interstate transportations of your personal firearms while travelling, as long as it's legal for you to posess them on both ends of your trip. The firearms must also be unloaded, locked in a case and inaccessable to people in the vehicle while in motion. (locked in the trunk)
    In this case, it's legal to have them in NM, but NOT in NY, so the law dosen't apply. But if he were travelling to Vermont, or any other state that recognizes his NM gun permit, it would be legal to do so.

5. gnoll

gnoll New Member

wow really i did not know that well now i do thanx Zappa

6. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

7. bkt

bkt New Member

Yes, he is correct. You can transport handguns through states if your destination is a state that will honor your permit from another state. But the OP wants to end up in New York State which has absolutely no reciprocity with any other state. So, until he has his permit, he can't legally bring his handguns here himself.

8. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Not all gun owners have carry permits. Unless you need a permit to own a firearm in NY state, the law applies.

9. bkt

bkt New Member

The firearm in question is a handgun and yes, you certainly do need a permit in New York State to even touch one legally. (Permits in New York are either CCW or just plain ownership like for target shooting or hunting.)

So while you are absolutely 100% correct that he can legally pass through New York State on the way to a destination where his permit (or lack thereof) is legal, he can't move to New York and bring his handgun until he has his permit. :)

10. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I live in Upstate NY also - near the Lake George region. You must have your handguns transferred to an FFL. Additionally, you must be a NY resident for 6 mos. before you can even apply for a CCW permit. If you need an FFL in this area let me know!