Firearms Talk banner

Transfering an ar

938 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jeepin1990 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is the place but i have a question about transferring an ar in the state of mn. So my grandfather has a colt sporter ar-15. He wants to give it to me. He purchased it in Nebraska quite some time ago. I live in mn and so does he now. I have seen the permit to purchase but how does one go about transferring a weapon? Any pointers will help. Thanks so much

#3 ·
Hopefully in MN there are not draconian gun laws that complicate the passing down of a firearm within a family.

Treat her with respect, she's a quality firearm and a family heirloom!

#6 · (Edited)
At this time (2/2013) in Mn, there are no registration or transfer requirements for rifles. As long as the recipient is not a prohibited person, private sales or transfers are OK.

Enjoy your new firearm.

#7 ·
Even here in Kommiefornia, if you great grandad, grandad, or dad (or mother) gives you a firearm, so long as you are not a prohibited person, no paperwork is required.

#8 ·
Even here in Kommiefornia, if you great grandad, grandad, or dad (or mother) gives you a firearm, so long as you are not a prohibited person, no paperwork is required.
That's what I thought, but I only know the rules of GA and SC so I just lurked and watched

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.