Transfering an ar

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jeepin1990, Feb 6, 2013.

1. jeepin1990

jeepin1990 New Member

Not sure if this is the place but i have a question about transferring an ar in the state of mn. So my grandfather has a colt sporter ar-15. He wants to give it to me. He purchased it in Nebraska quite some time ago. I live in mn and so does he now. I have seen the permit to purchase but how does one go about transferring a weapon? Any pointers will help. Thanks so much

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

get with an FFL in your area and explain your situation. may not even need to transfer it. depends on the laws in your state.

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Hopefully in MN there are not draconian gun laws that complicate the passing down of a firearm within a family.

Treat her with respect, she's a quality firearm and a family heirloom!

4. jeepin1990

jeepin1990 New Member

Thanks. Hope so too!!! I will. Very grateful that I was picked out of all the other grandsons :)

5. jeepin1990

jeepin1990 New Member

Will do thank you very much.

6. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

At this time (2/2013) in Mn, there are no registration or transfer requirements for rifles. As long as the recipient is not a prohibited person, private sales or transfers are OK.

Enjoy your new firearm.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Even here in Kommiefornia, if you great grandad, grandad, or dad (or mother) gives you a firearm, so long as you are not a prohibited person, no paperwork is required.

8. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

That's what I thought, but I only know the rules of GA and SC so I just lurked and watched

9. jeepin1990

jeepin1990 New Member

Thank you all who helped me out. I really appreciate it.