Firearms Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the place but i have a question about transferring an ar in the state of mn. So my grandfather has a colt sporter ar-15. He wants to give it to me. He purchased it in Nebraska quite some time ago. I live in mn and so does he now. I have seen the permit to purchase but how does one go about transferring a weapon? Any pointers will help. Thanks so much

·
Banned
0 Posts
Not sure if this is the place but i have a question about transferring an ar in the state of mn. So my grandfather has a colt sporter ar-15. He wants to give it to me. He purchased it in Nebraska quite some time ago. I live in mn and so does he now. I have seen the permit to purchase but how does one go about transferring a weapon? Any pointers will help. Thanks so much
get with an FFL in your area and explain your situation. may not even need to transfer it. depends on the laws in your state.

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
Hopefully in MN there are not draconian gun laws that complicate the passing down of a firearm within a family.

Treat her with respect, she's a quality firearm and a family heirloom!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quentin said:
Hopefully in MN there are not draconian gun laws that complicate the passing down of a firearm within a family.

Treat her with respect, she's a quality firearm and a family heirloom!
Thanks. Hope so too!!! I will. Very grateful that I was picked out of all the other grandsons :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
At this time (2/2013) in Mn, there are no registration or transfer requirements for rifles. As long as the recipient is not a prohibited person, private sales or transfers are OK.

Enjoy your new firearm.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Even here in Kommiefornia, if you great grandad, grandad, or dad (or mother) gives you a firearm, so long as you are not a prohibited person, no paperwork is required.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Even here in Kommiefornia, if you great grandad, grandad, or dad (or mother) gives you a firearm, so long as you are not a prohibited person, no paperwork is required.
That's what I thought, but I only know the rules of GA and SC so I just lurked and watched

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.