Trajectory question

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by oldredneck, Dec 9, 2007.

1. oldredneck

oldredneck New Member

I've always heard the trajectory of a projectile from a rifle usually crosses the line of sight at approximately 25 yards and again at approximately 100 yards and over the years this has proven to be true with several rifles I have owned. For some ungodly reason I began to wonder if the same holds true for handguns. Actually, I began to think about this subject after putting a red dot sight on a Ruger Mark III and seeing the difference in point of aim and point of impact at difference distances. I guess I have too much time on my hands now that I'm getting too old to think about sex all the time. Can anyone give me info on the trajectory tendencies of a handgun?

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Usually the box of ammo has that information on it. If you handload, your load tables should give it to you also.

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Redneck,
    Where the bullets cross the line of shight depends on where you have the gun zeroed. Really I don`t care where the bullet crosses the line of shight, just where it crosses on it`s way down. I have a .22-6mm that I`m now useing for my long range gun and I do my best to have the bullet cross the line of sight at the target no matter what range the target is. I range the target with a lazer range finder then dial in the correct moa on the scope and if all goes well I hit the target. I carry a drop chart to see what to dial in and at present 600 yrds. is the farthest I`ve tried it, but I hit a gallon jug as close to the center as you can get form 600 yrds. some that bullet crossed the line of shight at 600 yrds.