Trajectory and POI, Confused.

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Layla, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Layla

Layla New Member

I would like to know if on a .300 win mag sighted dead on at 100 yards with a yard marking scope if I still need to compensate for the drop of about 3 1/2 - 4 inches with a 300 yard target?

Not my gun, my brothers, he seems pretty convinced that I don't need to adjust for any drop when firing his gun past the dead on mark. Im confused.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

If the scope is zeroed at 100 yards, it will impact about nine inches low at 300 yards.

4. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

Get the ammo make and the weight of the bullet and go to the MFG's website, there is almost always a graph that shows the long and short trajectory. If this turns into a pain, post the make and bullet weight here and I'll see if I can't get it and post it on this thread.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Where's y'all's manners?

Welcome to the forum Layla! Hope you enjoy your time here and stick around if you'd like.

And yes, these guys are correct, you do have to compensate for bullet drop past the zeroed range.

A website you can check out is hornady's. They have a chart on there for different weights and velocities. It may not apply EXACTLY the same with all other maker's ammo, but it'll come out so close that it probably doesn't matter. I'll see if I can find I link for ya, but the 9-10 inches already mentioned is pretty accurate.

I think there's also smart phone apps for that.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hi Layla! As the folks have said-ALL bullets begin to drop when they leave the muzzle. The line of the bore is above the point of impact- when you shoot, you shoot UP- and the bullet drops back down to your target. Further away, bullet has continued to fall. If you do not allow for that, you will miss.

This is just a sample- firearm here is zeroed for a 200 yard target. Bullet rises above line of sight, and drops back to hit at 200. But if zero is not changed, or shooter does not compensate for longer range, bullet will hit lower and lower as you move further out. Just like using a garden hose- to get something wet further away, you point higher.

trajectory.png

9. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

With Bullet weights from 130 to 200 and MV from 3500 to 2700 (and this was just Federal) I'm thinking the devil will be in the details.

10. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

It is possible to have a 150-200 yard zero and forget about it.
    Not that this scores 10's, but it's a shoulder/heart shot for 0 to 300 yards.
    .300 WinMag is fairly flat shooting.