Training with a katana (kenjutsu)

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by gearhead396, May 15, 2013.

1. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

So recently I have just started training in kenjutsu which is a umbrella term for various types of Japanese sword art revolving around the katana. So I'd like to know if anyone else is also training in this martial art? If you do what do you practice with? What do your practice your cuts on ? What kind of katana do you have? So far i have just been practicing on old jugs. Hanging on rope from my gazebo filled with water. The katana i am using is a Hanwei practical pro made for frequent drawing and cutting practice, it weighs 7 pounds which seems to be on the lighter side but it still gets heavy after 10 minutes of kata lol. On top of just really enjoying it i lightly prep, and I figure knowing how to fight with a katana would come in handy if the supply of bullets runs out in a apocalyptic situation.

2. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I bow to you , quite the interesting weapon of choice and honor ! I to am a bit of an enthusiasts of some 39 years student . Would have been 41 years , but do to health issues , I have just picked it back up in the past months..! I've a long way to go and strength to build , but do keep me informed of your progress..!

So , perhaps a video..! :) Maybe by the end of summer I!ll be half back to myself less any set backs . I like firearms , but do like the stealth of other weapons also..! Quiet but deadly..!

3. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Thank you sir ! And I will keep you informed. I am planning on sticking with it and becoming quite good. Ill have to post a video also.

4. dango

Looking forward to share some common interests , not many out there..! :)

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I want to learn to use a cutlas properly. Since I can wear one with a dress uniform, it would be nice to actually honor the tradition of being able to use the device rather than just display it.

As for the apocalypse I still prefer a range weapon for game getting. I took up primative archery, and have made a couple of bows that have proven to be good enough for small to medium game hunting and would work for defense in a pinch.

6. jamesb

jamesb New Member

I have a Ronin Dojo Pro katana.

7. dango

And out of the shadows , we chime in , too Kool..! :cool:

8. dango

It was asked , "what kind of sword is owned or practiced"..! I own a :
    (Shinsakuto and a Gendaito).! Can anybody tell me what that means..! :)

I just have all kinds of question..! To wear the title of (Samurai) , what
    Would procure such a title .? Skill level or social status ..?

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  9. dango

According to (Old World Feudal Japan , can I wear my Daisha in public..? I'm not being a smart-*** here , just want to share some history to invoke curiosity.!

The more knowledge , the more respect for what we practice.!

What does a (Daisha) consist of ..?

10. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Daisho literally means long short. That would be a katana and wakasashi carried together. although unless they were bokins (wooden) you'd probably get arrested. You'd be better off wearing a kimono or keikogi.

11. dango

Yes and no..! To be contracted by an Emperor or a Warlord Lord would set you
    Into a higher social status ,with more social graces and that alone would allow you to be a Samurai , nothing to do with skill level sadly for the arrogance of
    Some of the War lords..! They didn't always pick the most skilled warriors .!

The practice of all forms of sword-play were banned except to the elitists so they could never be sure of the best skill levels..! Many times ,their chosen warriors were defeated because of these hidden practitioners., !

With the social graces also came the privilege of publicly displaying the Daisha.!

12. dango

Another question of interests..!
    What is a (Showato)...?

13. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Hmmm interesting thank you for the info.

14. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

You got me on this one

15. dango

That were the swords issued in WWII to the Japanese Officers ..! I do have one of these..!

16. dango

A question..? I have lost a couple of digits ,(part of my right thumb and my pinky on the other hand .! Because of this , I have. Lost much flash on the positional change ups and other maneuvers , frustration at least .!

If I can do this once again , so can we all , but with focus and a calm mind , I
    Will be back..! Anybody confronted with this..? :confused:

Samurai "gimp" here.! :D

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  17. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Wow that is wild but much respect for training even with that against you. I hope you will be able to over come it and be right back to where you were before. You didn't lose those Digits from training did you ?!?! Lol :p just kidding.

18. dango

No ,nothing to do with training , a very long story..! Eeek..! :eek::eek: never knew how each and every part does..! Toes , etc..,
    I do this flashy figure eight flip from left to right hand and back and have trouble from left to right hand ..! Eeek..! Will keep working at it ..! :mad:

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  19. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

This is a Tachi made by Marto of Toledo Spain. The same sword was used in the premier episode of Highlander in the episode called "The Gathering" by Connor Macloud during a fight. The Tachi was the first blade design of the Japanese and the later straighter blade that was produced is the Katana.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]