Training wildlife to behave

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by partdeux, Feb 11, 2013.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Apparently the French have figured it out, all you have to do is traumatize them into behaving. You can't make this stuff up!

Can you teach a wolf not to eat sheep?

The idea is being floated in France, where the return of the wolf has got farmers and environmentalists at each other's throats.

Under a proposed "National Wolf Plan," the government says it will conduct experiments into "educating" the canine carnivore, which is spreading stealthily in remote areas.

Rest assured, this scheme does not entail lecturing wolves about the cuteness of lambs or trying to convert them to vegetarianism.

Instead, it entails capturing individual wolves that are known to attack a local flock and then marking these bothersome predators before letting them go.

The theory is that the animal will be so traumatised by the experience that it will leave the sheep alone and instead hunt for deer, boar, rabbits and other wild animals.
    source

2. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

No way , I call "BS" . Just ain't no way that's possible.! Why just the other day I was........................Wait.......I hear a bell tinkling....I'm Drooling... ...!...?

Never Mind.........! ........:eek:...:confused:

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

can't really blame the wolves ... lamb tastes so damned good :p

4. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

^^^^^Like, Like,Like^^^^^^

5. hmh

hmh New Member

I seen something on PBS about that. Except they were doing it in Yellowstone if I remember the livestock wasn't saved.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, it DOES work- but the wolf has to be traumatized with 165 grains of lead at 2600 FPS........

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Seriously, the FRENCH?? whadda ya expect?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its not a french idea. Our government has been doing this idiocy for decades on wolves.

Original we tried it on people and still do it. We capture people in the act of commiting a crime or after the fact and traumatize them by holding them in a research facility where they are closely monitored and some are tagged a
    nd released back into the wild.

Results are the same for people as for wolves. Its a stupid idea regardless of species its tried on.

Think about it

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  9. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

Works on coyotes and stray dogs too....Every time! ;)

10. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

As long as there are boar, deer, rabbit, cats, dogs, children, etc., it might work but when times get tough a wolf's gotta do what a wolf's gotta do to get by, man!

11. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Good luck France!

12. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Lol I reckon just about anything can be taught to lay down,teaching them anything else after that is gonna be a bit tricky though.

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Mark them how? Shave an eyebrow? Write funny stuff on them with a marker? What sort of trauma are we talking about? Embarrassment? Are these liberal wolves who are easily intimidated. Forgive my skepticism, this sounds like the same crap libs try with people that doesn't work either.
    Better plan: Put all of France's wolves on public assistance. They will never hunt anything again, ever. They will grow fat and lazy and hang around town centers annoying passerby.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Maybe they should try this on bears; a bear comes out of the cage, it gets shot; maybe then the next bear will learn by example and stay in the safe little cage.

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member