Training to shoot with weak side hand.

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Ghost1958, Dec 6, 2017.

1. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a range in my back yard and I should shoot more often! I don't have any excuse.:oops:

Ghost1958 likes this.
  2. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

That's actually something I started practicing, and still practice regularly, since I first got my NY Permit, and started carrying. my reasoning was, and is, very simple on why.

1. $#!+ happens. You could injure yourself, thus making a more tempting target, especially to anyone who knows which is your strong hand, or you could get hit while trying to find cover, injuring your strong arm, and have to both shoot and manipulate the weapon entirely with your weak side.

better to train for that, with both long gun and handgun, right from the start.

2. As most on here know, I spend more time on two wheels than four in the warmer months. The standard throttle placement on most bikes is on the right side of the handle bar. having to draw, switch hands, and try to fire back to create distance, should you not be able to out run or out manuver someone trying to run you down, might make for an entertaining show for any witnesses out there, but it would add a high degree of difficulty and stress to an already stressful encounter. Carrying on the weak side, or even cross draw, which is a fairly common thing for me to do when i ride, is simply a means of giving me better odds of surviving the situation.

It's also why I load JSP rounds in the revolver when I ride. They have a safety cage. I don't.

Now, most of my bikes are going to be more manuverable than a cage is, and even small (350 to 750 CC) bikes will out accelerate most cars. so odds are good in the right setting, that I could hair out, and find a safe apot to call LE, without ever needing to draw or fire. I just learned how to do so, because, as stated above, $#!+ happens.

And

3. Not all shot opportunities will be presented in such a way that one can take them with theor dominant eye, or their strong side.

I know more than a few hunters who have missed getting a shot off at a trophy of a lifetime (Watched a friend spook a big 12 point 10 years ago for just this reason), because they couldn't shoot weak side, and moving around the tree, in the stand, or trying to reposistion to take the shot, spooked the animal, and they either didn't shoot after losing sight of it, or flat out missed the shot when it ran.

Granted, it's not the same as finding yourself pinned down behind a low wall, that opens on your left side, and having to lean further out, making a better target of your self, to take that shot RH. However, the fix in both cases is the same.

More than one of us has posted that we revert to our level of training, once the SHTF, so, if you are trying to fight back out of a LH gap, but can't fire that AR left handed, you just made yourself a far better target, especially if your target is running left to right at that point.

now, here's where that ability to use either eye until about 12 years ago, has paid off.

In 2006, I started having issues with my eyes, where I would get a primary to the background blurred colored blob, in the middle of the vision in my right eye. Wet Macular Degeneration. It takes out the fine vision in your eye, by cutting off blood flow due to new, weaker, vessel grown on the retina, and leaves you with just peripheral vision.

Mine in my right eye is bad enough that I can't see a dart board for the line on a bar room floor with that eye, but I can still see the casing for it. On a good day, I might be able to pick up a couple numbers, or read the remainder in a game of 301.

Straight on, I won't see it, but looking somewhere else, I can still see whell enough to spot the black wedges and natural cork ones on the board. Same with shooting through a scope, as long as I can keep my eye from centering, which it always wants to do.

had I not followed the advice of my dad and grandfather, I would have had to train myself to use the left eye then, which it's far harder to unlearn how to do something, that it ever will be to learn it in the first place, before practice has become habit.

And believe it or not, there are plenty of shooters out there, that if you were to cover their dominant eye, they would be screwed, even if they practiced every day. But there are other ways of training yourself to use the ND eye, such as placing opaque scotch tape over the center of the dominant eye lens of your shooting glasses while at the range, or even around the house. Do some of your day to day stuff that way, and it gets to where you can switch eyes without thinking about it.

That's how I got the faughter to learn to use her left eye, should she need to, and the wife to use her right eye, but both were trained to use their dominant eye side with a long gun from the statrt, even in the case of cross eye dominance (Wife and I are both RH\LE, daughter is RH\RE.)

If you haven't trained yourself to use the other eye, and you don't have a medical issue limiting doing so, it would be advisable to start learning to do so ASAP. It just might save your @$$ some day.

3. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Active Member

Tell m
    Tell me that when you are 80 years old like me.

Ghost1958, JimRau and Imurhuckleberry like this.
  4. Angelimo

Angelimo New Member

I
    I also practice with my weak hand

Ghost1958 likes this.
  5. JimRau

Well I am only a decade behind you!!!:D

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I sometimes design IDPA stages with weak hand shooting. It is an important skill to have. I also make the students in my concealed carry classes shoot weak handed. I dont insist they become experts at it. But I want them to realize they may be forced to do it some day. I only make them fire 10 rounds that way. But I recommend they practice it for a few rounds whenever they shoot at the range.

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  7. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

My family tends towards ambidexterous, so using left or right for most of us is the same. I can write equally well with either hand, shoot slightly better with the right, since I'm right eye dominant, but do quite well either way. Really helps when working on a vehicle, since it makes you able to use tools with either hand equally well.

Also helps with Martial Arts & Boxing, since most folks are right handed, they really can't handle Lefty attacks very well. Being able to switch to Southpaw on demand comes in mighty handy during MA tournaments!

Lefty Baseball pitching puts others at a disadvantage. Can also hit lefty almost as well as righty. Whichever is needed for a particular situation.

Best thing...Dual Wielding just about anything. If you train on a particular dual weapon, doesn't take real long to get really good with it. Opens up all sorts of possibilities!
    tumblr_mac7q6afhB1rrjmgoo1_500.jpg
    meteor hammers.jpg

kfox75 and bluez like this.
  8. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

When it comes to self defense, including shooting, knife techniques etc, what you teach one hand you have to teach the other. Period.

kfox75 and SGWGunsmith like this.
  9. JimRau

I just shot my qual. 96%, I drooped a couple on purpose.:D I NEVER shoot 100% on purpose. If you end up in court and constantly shoot 100's, like I did in my younger days;), and you do 'misplace' a round in a shoot out some AH attorney will use those 100's against you. SO drop a round or two and you are still in the high 90's but not PERFECT!!!;)

1911NUT likes this.
  10. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I used to be left dominant ambidextrous. In grade school i did words and letters with my left hand, but did numbers and math with my right. Really confused the teachers.

Broke my arm, just below the shoulder and had a lot of nerve damage. Had to learn to be right handed. Relearned how to do most things pretty well. (Still throw like a girl though.)

But, shooting offhanded is, well comical.

JimRau likes this.
  11. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

This weak hand shooting requirement apparently started with the FBI , which wanted its agents to be able to fight even if shot in the strong arm .
    Recent research has found that the need for such skill almost never arises .
    I suppose there is no harm in having the skill but the emphasis should be on other training .
    Firing weak hand supported by strong hand may result in putting the strong hand thumb behind the slide due to force of habit , resulting in a nasty cut thumb ( Don't ask how I learned this ) .

1911NUT likes this.
  12. Ingramite

Ingramite Well-Known Member Supporter

Weak handed shooting has transcended novelty since my rotator cuff surgery.

I've also become fond of the .32.
    Dismissed by many in the never ending quest for knock down power, shock, and awe.

The Nobel. 32 served generations well. Early .32 revolvers were the working round for many police departments in the early 20th century. Has our skin gotten that much thicker?

Oh yeah, I know today's conventional wisdom tells us that a .38spl is barely acceptable, a .380 is laughable and the .32 is an antiquated round that comes in just one click above throwing a rock.

But let me tell you, shooting a .357 magnum strong handed right now could only be equaled by placing a 10ga. Scatter gun butt against my family jewels for a crotch shot. I might be able to pull the trigger once but my resistance would cease under recoil.

The same guys will quickly remind you that it's all about shot placement. Well, I disagree. It's really all about being armed and willing to use it. Weak handed or strong hand. Pulling the trigger in confrontation, ability and willingness is really what it's all about.

I began with the. 32 before my surgery to my strong arm. I knew that adaptation would be necessary to maintain the defense of me and mine during my healing. I knew that the low recoil of the. 32 would be helpful.

What I didn't know was that I would come to appreciate the. 32 for a defensive round.

My .32 has the capability of the mighty .327 Federal Magnum cartridge too so don't think that I've gone too far around the bend. Lol.

I probably wouldn't have discovered the versatility of this setup if it wasn't for the diminished capacity of my strong arm.

Apr 2019 .327 Magnum.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    1911NUT likes this.
  13. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

The .327 Magnum is far more powerful than the .32 ACP and .32 S&W Long that are more plentiful .

Years ago, the police shot 160 pound fleeing suspects in the back . Today, the police shoot 250 pound crazy / suicidal / drugged-up suspects in the chest as the suspects try to shoot the cops . The old .32s had the stopping power of a .22LR ( roughly ) and may have been adequate for suspects who stopped simply because they'd been shot .
    If you are lucky, your attacker will stop as soon for a .38 hit as he will for a .45 hit . If the person is tough and determined, no amount of courage or shot placement or power will guarantee an instant stop .

bluez and Ingramite like this.