Training to shoot with weak side hand.

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Ghost1958, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Let me preface this post that though I've worked with several people over the years, teaching them to shoot etc, I am NOT a professional trainer nor have I ever charged anyone to teach them to use a gun in SD. Not have any interest in ever doing so.:D

Back to the topic.
    Do you practice shooting with your weak side hand?
    JMO, but one should practice drawing and shooting with their weak hand at least enough to get consistent hits to COM at 10 to 15 yrds.

Granted the probability of ever being attacked AND having your strong side arm or hand disabled is slim.
    However other reasons one may have to depend on their weak side hand to shoot are much more likely.
    Injury, disease of some types like arthritis, etc can render one fairly helpless as far as depending on one's sidearm for SD.
    And unless one is naturally ambidextrous it can take a fair amount of practice time and ammo to become consistently able to make effective hits on an attacker.

During that learning phase Murphy says is exactly when you'll find yourself in a situation that you need your gun but can't effectively use it.

JMO but it's better to develope the ability to shoot weak side while one still has effective use of their strong side hand and arm.

I've found over the years it's easier to simply shoot one handed weak side than to try to use ones strong hand as a support.. and easier to teach as well.

Also it's natural for your weak hand to lean the pistol over toward the center of one's body a bit, compared to one's strong side arm. Just let it do so.

It's not hard to learn to shoot weak side but it does take a bit of time and shooting to develope .

Starting at 5 yards to get the feel of drawing and aiming and gradually stretching out to 10 or 15 yrds over time one can be making good hits at decent range fairly soon.

:D

2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

not exactly new news. most people probably already practice with their weak hand.

many of us probably for a great number of years.

kfox75, locutus and JimRau like this.

3. Ghost1958

Understood.
    I have as well for around 50 yrs.

However I guessing there might be a new shooter or carrier lurking about that never thought about it.

Not really directed at hardened gun fighter types like yourself. :p

4. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Active Member

I was dealing with tendonitis. What I did to keep in practice was shoot my 22 hand guns. One day my arthritis will get to me and I'll have to adapt. I'm right handed but I do work on shooting lefty some times.

kfox75 and Ghost1958 like this.
  5. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member

Actually, a lot of shooters don't practice much with weak hand only. Weak hand presents several problems.

First, drawing your gun with the weak hand only. Depending on where you carry, it can be exceedingly difficult to even reach the gun, much less draw it effectively. If your need to use your weak hand is the result of gradual loss of function on the strong hand, consider appendix carry or consider a weak side holster. But if you are injured before you can draw, your choice of carry position may make weak hand drawing a challenge at best. Before you find yourself in that situation, set yourself up for some dry fire practice and see how (if) you can draw with your weak hand. If you can't, CHANGE!

Second, shooting with 2 hands (even weak hand supported by the strong hand) is likely to be easier to be accurate with than weak hand unsupported. Before discounting weak hand supported, try it. It's not for everyone, but with both hands to support the weight, it's easier to be controlled with the trigger press. Get some weights to exercise with and strengthen the weak hand.

Third, Ghost's point about naturally tilting the gun towards the strong side is right. And in many cases people are also strong eye dominant. Tilting the gun towards the strong side helps get the strong eye aligned with the sights. Dry fire practice is also helpful in learning what grip/posture is best for sight picture.

As a frame of reference, in IDPA weak hand only shots are limited to 7 yards. Strong hand only is 10 yards. The point is that one handed shooting is inherently less accurate. You can certainly practice at any distance you choose. But if you are only going to practice a small amount with one hand (especially weak hand) consider practicing at realistic distances.

For what it's worth, here's one guys take on how to draw from a strong side holster with the weak hand. Obviously something you would want to practice dry fire A LOT before trying it with a hot gun.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  6. Imurhuckleberry

Imurhuckleberry Active Member

I always practice using my weak hand. I shoot a couple of hundred rounds on every range trip I make at least twice a week. I use a Browning Buckmark. Using 22lr allows me to shoot a lot without breaking the bank.

kfox75 and Ghost1958 like this.
  7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

MANY people do not practice PERIOD! Some buy guns and load them up and carry them without firing a shot! Many of them are 'shooters' in the sence that they have used guns and did some shooting the past so the issue is not safety, but 'common sense', or the lack there of!:(

Imurhuckleberry and Ghost1958 like this.
  8. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Fell on the ice a week ago, and sprained my wrist. I’ll be doing any shooting I do with my off hand for at least a month.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  9. JimRau

Sorry to hear that. Ice, Ice, what Ice???;)

AZdave and Ghost1958 like this.
  10. Ghost1958

I didn't like your post because you sprained your wrist.
    But because your willing to shoot 0ff handed instead of just not at all jigs.

Imurhuckleberry likes this.
  11. Imurhuckleberry

A while back my brother wanted me to shoot his 1911 a Kimber. Said he was having issues. I personally have never liked Kimbers I am a Springfield guy. Any way we went to the range and we could only shoot at the 50 yard that day. I shot at the silhouette and hit it 5 out of 7 times. Of course I start getting ragged on because I am retired Army. They think I should do better. Than my other two brothers shot, one hit it twice and the other missed all 7 shots. I ragged on them and of course their excuse was they were never military. I told them it does not matter. I shot the gun right handed and I am a lefty. They both now own a 22lr handgun.

Ghost1958, kfox75 and JimRau like this.
  12. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member

Hitting a silhouette at 50 yards weak hand only is quite a feat IMO. Not sure I could do it.

kfox75 likes this.
  13. JimRau

11th ACR I see!;)

Ghost1958 likes this.
  14. JimRau

When I first went in LE part of our qual was at 50 yds and we shot from a barricade both strong and week handed there and it was no problem becasue WE TRAINED THAT WAY!;)

AZdave, Imurhuckleberry and Ghost1958 like this.
  15. Imurhuckleberry

Yes, was with the 3/11th ACR in Bad Hersfeld many many moons ago.

JimRau and Ghost1958 like this.
  16. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

My older brother was a LEO for a small department that required all officers to shoot at least 200 rounds per month, and would issue upto 400 rounds on request, and upto a thousand if you shot competitively. So, he became a very good shot with most pistols.

One of his buddies, bought a S&W Mdl.29, and a hundred rounds, so he could shoot it enough to get good like my brother. My brother held his tongue until the guy left, and then went into a rant.

Some folks have no concept of how much practice it takes to actually hit what you shoot at, particularly under adverse conditions.

17. Imurhuckleberry

Such a true statement, you can literally be 3 feet away and miss. In my younger years I did the mistake of doing trigger work at about 3 pounds, what a mistake. When your heart rate is pumping so fast and you feel your heart rate in your throat the adrenaline going through your body is so much that you do not realize you have squeezed enough to let a round go off. Not smart to have a light trigger, luckily I never shot my foot off but close.

Dallas53 likes this.
  18. JimRau

BUT, not all of us are equal in our abilities. Some must work harder and longer than others to reach a high level of proficiency. I have been training guys and gals for many years and I have seen this play out many times. My grandson is an example of this. He is just a 'natural' when it comes to shooting. And I have others who just could not master the art of shooting.

kfox75, Imurhuckleberry and Ghost1958 like this.
  19. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

Hey, when you get to be my age maintaining shooting proficiency is not ones first priority. I use to go to the range at least two or three times a month, now the range trips have been replaced by three or four trips per month to the doctor. :(

kfox75, Imurhuckleberry and Ghost1958 like this.
  20. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

@chuckusaret

Same here, but I'm getting a new range bag for xmas. And expect to practise more when I retire early next year.

chuckusaret likes this.