Training the Ladies

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Tackleberry1, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I continue to show up at the pistol range and find some "gun" guy teaching a female how to shoot a handgun which in itself is a good thing, however I'm confused by the choice of guns?

Most of them are pushing there female students to learn on "noisy crickets", IE, .380 or smaller mouse guns?

Why?

I have a wife of 20 years and 15 yr old daughter. Neither of them owns a pair of pants that would conceal a tube of lipstick, let alone a "pocket gun".

Ladies are just as able to shoot and carry a larger side arm and most of them choose to PURSE carry...so why in god's name would anyone try to introduce them to shooting with a pocket gun?

Fella's, come on...Pocket guns are meant for GUYS pocket, you know, the kind that are loose enough to conceal a gun...

We all know why some of us choose pocket guns. This is not about debating that issue. It's about the fact that you've finally gotten a woman you care about to take her safety seriously enough to get some training. Don't screw it up by punisher her with snappy, hard to shoot, crappy triggered mouse gun.

Just MHO

TACK

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Well said. When I was introduced to guns, the guy handed me some guns that would be fun to shoot and not hard to handle. I sincerely appreciate the fact he was kind and considerate enough not to scare me off or make shooting an unpleasant experience in any way. Needless to say, I had a blast and got hooked. This same friend suggested my first gun be a Ruger GP100, 6" barrel so the recoil would be minimal for that caliber and yet I'd have a gun that would be good for self protection.

My note to the guys, ease us ladies into the guns. I now will shoot anything you put into my hands. Now that I know what to expect.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Hell my daughter shoots my XD40 and loves it.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

When the niece started shooting, she turned into a junkie.
    Started with .22, ran out of ammo,
    Next a .38Spl, ran out of ammo,
    Then a 9mm, ran out of ammo,
    Then the .45 ACP. She was to the point of hitting a 2X4 every other time at 50 yards.

I can see progression to larger calibers, but don't lock the ladies in to a caliber.

Let them decide.

5. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

While I agree that starting with a mouse-gun is wrong whether your a man or a woman. There is a down side to this logic however. I trained my GF on my Beretta 92 and now it is her Beretta 92. :(

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The issue that bothers me is they buy the lady some piece of C---- that from the beginning has a terrible trigger pull, poor accuracy and heavy enough to us for a boat anchor for $99.00. Remember you are allegedly getting this weapon to possibly save your, your family or someones life. My wife has a little Browning BDA in 380that I found used and in like new condition and she loves that pistol. And she is deadly with it. Of course with some of the new ammunition that is out now the lethal element has significantly improved for the 380 Pistol. For example the Winchester Silver Tips, Hornady Critical Defence and other well designed ammunition.
    But another important issue is spending time with a good quality carry pistol or revolver to use it effectively. When her an I are out at the range I literally have her do different drills. And have advised her in protecting herself if she ever has to use it a minimum of three hits. I did not say to shoot three rounds and quit. *3 Hits at least! Remembering a person will do as they train!
    She to say the least she is lethal with the pistol and one heck of a shot now that she feels comfortable and confident with her pistol. She is truly a lady, but I would not want to confront her and her 380.
    One last thing in closing. From my experience with a little work on upper body strength. The ladies are very easy to teach if we take the time. Why! Because they to start with do not have any bad habits and they listen to what you say and pay attention to instruction! For you gals there's a big compliment for you! *And it is true!

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Is she still your girlfriend? If so, I'm sure you value her life more than the cost of replacing your 92 with a new one...heck, sounds like a good excuse to upgrade that replacement 92. Stainless? Nightsights? Have fun!:)

TACK

8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Sounds like we have consensus on this issue.

Next I'll ask all of you to ALWAYS include a large pistol with a good trigger and at least 1 box of ammo for it EVERY time you go to the pistol range. If you happen to see some poor gal suffering behind a noisy cricket, please, do what I do...

Start a conversation, gain her and her "trainers" confidence, then talk her into squeezing off a few rounds from your, (1911, XD, SIG, Berretta, CZ75,) or whatever happens to be in your range bag, THAT YOU KNOW IS AN EASY AND FUN TO SHOOT GUN.

If handled properly you will turn a "this sucks" attitude into a "my teacher sucks" realization and hopefully create a new shooter who will one day be able to see to her own safety and in the process, wind up supporting our cause.

TACK

9. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

She's worth more than the whole collection, and I already replaced the 92 :D

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

My wife of almost 20 years has "her" Beretta .25 Wildcat that her Daddy bought her "just in case". She has only fired it a couple of times since we married. I would like to get her interested in shooting some of the bigger guns but she refuses to. Both of our boys were shooting the .357 before they were 10 years old and now are shooting the .44 and the Garand. But she still sticks to her (one) gun and that is all.

I think her shooting experience was ruined with that one .25 auto.:(

On the other hand I am not a fan of the "teach them to respect guns by hurting them with their first experience" method of introduction. Our boys first shooting experience was with a .22 bolt action single shot rifle. They outgrew that in about 10 or so shots and I gave them the 10/22 semi-auto. Next range session they were shooting the Mini 14 and the lever action .44. Their first shotgun was a .410, then a 20 gauge that same day. Their first handguns were .22s, but they quickly moved into the .357 (same day) and they love to shoot anything today (except my Casull. That one will have to wait. Remember, I don't want to hurt them.)

11. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

I picked up a Taurus PT140 It felt good in my hand at the gun show. It was wasn't too heavy but when I took it to the range, the kick and the muzzle flip was so hard that it kept jamming the slide with the safety, or jamming a bullet up. I was never able to get more than 2 or 3 shots off at a time before it would jam.

A few years back I shot by brother's .38 revolver and .45 semi, (Don't ask me what kind of gun they were cuz I don't remember :p ) and they both had way less kick and flip and I was actually able to hit the target with both of them.

Now, I have a Ruger LCR revolver .38 special but I haven't had the chance to fire it yet cuz my work schedule has been pretty demanding of late. :(

I hear good things about it though, and see that it gets high marks here at FTF. It feels really nice in my hand. I think when I do actually get to fire it, I'm pretty confident I will not be disappointed.

12. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

to be honest when I was training my gf to shoot a pistol (her dad did a good job teaching how to shoot a rifle) The first thing I handed her was a taurus model 66 4" barrel in 357 mag. She didn't do to great but it was her first time shooting something other then a .22, it was pretty nice. I agree doesen't make sense why people do this.

13. Samples.32

Samples.32 New Member

If you want to teach your wife to shoot and to keep her self safe teach her NOT to carry it in her purse! It takes her an hour to dig around in there to find her KEYS what makes you think she can get to a gun fast enough, don't get me wrong, I wont shoot anything below .40 caliber, BUT they do make guns thin enough to conceal, although you may have to wear something a little loose, or wear a jacket, or an overshirt, or a vest,or anything! and I can ALMOST bet that I am smaller than YOUR wife, I am 4'9 102 pounds I STILL conceal. And, as a side note not all women have to learn on a .22 and move up, I learned on a .45 long colt, what did I learn on next? A .45 ACP it has nothing to do with starting her light unless she has arthritis! Just explain to her, and be real, tell her this wont bother you a bit, it's going to push back a little, just go with it, it will cause even more damage to the man that is threatening your LIFE and your children's lives. That said, don't be a jerk and hand her a .300 winmag without teaching her proper stance or technique.

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Very good post on several different levels. I don't carry but I have been told NOT to carry a gun in a purse. It only arms a purse snatcher and, as Samples said, who's going to have time to dig through a purse for a gun? Do you think a BG is going to let you reach into your purse?

And, Wow, Samples, You are SHORT. I am 4'11" and I though I was short...........:p

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

One advantage to being short is that your center-of-body-mass point of aim will put a bullet up under the ribcage into the heart of a 6' tall BG!

16. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

If I was going to carry it in a purse, there would be a designated pocket where my hand would not have a problem getting in and out of, and the only item in there: the weapon. :eek: But then there is the purse-snatcher scenario...well now that, to me at least, is not a threat issue but an awareness issue. One should never carry a purse in a way that it can be taken from you.;)

17. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

I took my wife to a gun store after I let her try out some of my guns. She ended up buying a .38 snub. A few weeks later I put together an IDPA shoot and brought a Female reporter along to do a story on guns. She had never shot a gun before and we got a XD9sc for her to shoot. My wife shot it...ended up getting her one.

When it comes to women and fire arms a lot of people try to push off mouse guns and revolvers. Let them choose. Let them try different ones and pick.

That said, the reporter ended up having her other female reporter friend come to our next shoot and we taught her to shoot as well. And my wife...one hell of a shot. I wouldn't want to go up against her.

18. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Well said, VICTIMNOMORE. No matter where a person decides to carry, they need to make sure they know how to protect not only the carry, but themselves. That takes practice and knowledge.

Welcome to the forum from a displaced Denverite.

If you want to, stop by the Introductions thread. If you don't then that is ok as well. If you have and I missed it, then I offer my apology.

19. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

:D Why thankya very much skullcrusher (you can call me VNM :cool:). Nice to meet another Rocky Mtn brother.

You can find my introduction here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f2/thought-i-might-well-make-official-40440/ ;)