Training outside of range?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by BlindOldMan, Mar 25, 2011.

1. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

So... after my hiatus, I've been hitting the range pretty heavily these past few weeks. It's been *all* pistol shooting.

Two schools of thought:
    One group of experienced shooters (call them the old schoolers) say that strength training outside of the range (providing you spend at least two hours a week on the range) is not necessary. If your grip is getting fatigued then you're doing it wrong. The pistol is not so much "gripped" as guided.

The other group, also quite experienced (call them the techies), say that wrist/forearm/shoulder exercises outside of the range are really necessary to achieve perfection. Even the lightest full-size pistol will fatigue your arm (try holding it in the iso stance for 30 seconds and your arm can begin to tremble almost imperceptibly, but does tremble).

Both groups are experienced shooters and both shoot way better than I do. Now I think both are correct to a point. Maybe the trigger pull and weight on an "old school" revolver is sufficient that range training is also strength training.

What do you folks think?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Isometric exercises can help.
    I like to dry-fire (after triple checking the firearm is unloaded) with an old mag that has the weight of a loaded mag.

Those pictures on the wall, the light switches, and bad guys on tv have all been "shot" at one time or another.

I guess I have a combination of the two.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Can you hit a target at 30 feet with reliability? You're good to go!

If you're planning on competition shooting, that is another story.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Pellet guns and a trap. I shoot in my garage. I can also use 22CB caps in a rifle or Super Colibri in a pistol. My Remington pump likes the CB's. My CZ bolt does not.

5. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

30'

If the target is barn sized, I have a fair chance. Especially from inside the barn. :)

Seriously though, I'm not too bad. But want to improve. At 5 yards I can consistently hit inside a playing card sized area.

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

A little off topic but:

I saw an interview with the ex LA police chief saying that in real life defensive shooting situations trained officers only hit a target with 1 out of 7 shots. That to him is reason to not let "untrained citizens" have guns.

7. jrfctx

jrfctx New Member

That's a result of poor training for the average LEO. Fighting with a firearm is not just all about marksmanship.

8. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

In my 18 years as an officer I was in one shooting using one shot from the hip and made a one shot kill Heart & Lung using a Mod 15 38spl & Federal 110gr+P+

[​IMG]

9. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

One thing you know for sure, is you aren't going to get any worse by being in better shape :p .

And I pull the trigger on an empty chamber at home about 15 or 20 times as much as I do on a live round at the range. It helped my pistol shooting TREMENDOUSLY.

10. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

While I am certainly not trying to stir the pot... I just have to say "wow," nice real world example of IGETEVEN's insistence in that Governor thread that a smaller caliber round would indeed penetrate far enough to stop a BG in his tracks... :eek: Very impressive shot placement.

Of particular note is that the ONE SHOT was obviously from an oblique angle, and NOT from a direct full-frontal attack, because the affected organs were the RIGHT lung and the HEART.

IMHO, I don't see any way (other than a magic bullet :rolleyes: ) for a bullet to travel from the right lung into the heart while the BG is in a squared off position to the shooter.

This scenario would make a good "Hollywood movie" scene where one shot drops the BG in his tracks with a smaller caliber handgun. ;)

armsmaster270, kudos on stopping the BG with a single shot!

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

[​IMG]

12. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There's every advantage for staying in shape--in anything you do--and none for not staying in shape.

13. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Hahaha!

1) Only to the simplest minds does a single example speak for millions of events.

2) This invalidates nothing I put forth.

But like I say; Ignorance is bliss, and people will ultimately choose to believe whatever the hell they want to believe.

Some people just want to believe some things, and will happily ignore logical counterexamples teabagging them right in the forehead.

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

All I can say is I rarely see someone so intent on insulting everyone that does not agree with everything they post. We're obviously way to ignorant and should not even be allowed to share the interwebz with someone as omnipotent as yourself. Your class and eloquence is really demonstrated by the "teabagging" remark...

15. user4

user4 New Member

Just agree to disagree. Valid points are made on both sides. Only a fool takes a hard stance to something he no experience or knowledge of. No need to fight about this.

There is no banning offense here.

16. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I believe that your stay here on this forum will be short lived due to your behavior, ignorance and lack of respect to forum members here.

I did not need any FBI statistics to determine that conclusion. :rolleyes:

Ineffable your a fool.

17. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Well said, NGIB. Thumbs up!

18. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

The reason for the angle is that the perp was charging me with the knife in a bent over attitude actively trying to reach & stick me with his knife when he was shot.

19. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay. Can everyone take a breath here for a moment?

Lindenwood, your argument has been stated but in researching your posts I have found a few examples of personal attacks, tea bagging being latest. Time out time.

Jack, NGIB, the ignore feature works wonders and you guys know better than to keep running arguments from thread to thread. That is not like you.

Agree to disagree, or confine your argument to facts and leave all insults, veiled through clever or sarcastic comment or outright disrespect out of it.

Enough of this crap!

Seriously, it's almost summer. Halter tops, summer dresses, and plenty of sunny range days await!!

JD

20. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Point made; however, us military folks have a habit of coming to the defense of our brethren - especially a distinguished combat veteran...