Firearms Talk banner

Trailed by cats

496 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Dallas53 
#1 ·
a hunting show, on just a bit ago of Hunters in Colorado calling Elk. One practically set in his lap but he shooed it o not big enough rack and it came back.
All the time he had been calling a Cougar was trailing him.
The camera swung around and showed the cat not 30 ft off, behind some blow downs, eyes and face through them and tail laying upon a fallen sapling right behind its rump, eyes focused on the Hunter and perhaps the Elk.
The eyes were not as intent as the few cats I have seen, as if it was considering watching the hunt for entertainment and perhaps some Elk...nah it had intentions on the Hunter if situation evolved to his liking.
A cat looks right through you. It sees only something to eat, perhaps. A focus and stare that scares you to death.
The cat was doing exactly what the cat or cats as doing in Middle Tn, in seventies and eighties, hunting deer alone. No telling how long it had been trailing em either time, and only let its presence known perhaps with a growl and then a cracked stick, as it was preparing for the final charge. Thank God or the dogs and the Jeep, just in the nick of time.
An that brings up deer calls, totally different from an Elk call but it will bring lots of Does and Bucks thinking a young one is in distress.
i was sitting in the midst of a copse of small trees, with a 94 Winchester in my lap, round in chamber but hammer down.
I used the call three or four times and waited a minute or two then one or two notes and so on. There was lane the game traveled directly to my front, intersecting another one to my right. I heard a little something, not sure what it is. Then in the gloom of the big trees I see something coming at a fast pace toward me. It was a coyote.
He glimpsed to either side a bit but did not break his gate.
I gathered my self together, cocked the hammer, and got ready to bring it to my shoulder.
He glanced to the side as he was practically in my lap. he had not seen me at all, apparently.
Quick as a wink I brought the gun to my shoulder but even faster he turned and was in high gear before the gun hit my shoulder. I fired and he bounded out off sight over a small rise. I hear a horse pounding the earth and some sticks breaking.
I turned in time to see three deer including a buck, bound across on the trail and then across the road.
I guess the music of the call draws a good crowd.
I near had a hissy fit. that was 1975, I know because the next July, on my Birthday they stole all my guns including that one.
Somewhere in all my till packed hunting stuff is that call I bought in 1974.
The mayor, the other day said yes, his girlfriend did indeed see a mountain lion across the road we were sitting on watching for poachers.
Wonder anyone would think it peculiar if I mow with a tommy gun on my back.

See less See more
#2 ·
hmmmm.....as civilization further encroaches upon the habitat that many animals use for their needs, seems some people get all upset when they come in contact with these animals. seems strange to me.

and animals are usually creatures of habit and instincts. and with some animals, when you are in their environment, you're not the alpha predator any more. just the facts of life.

and many times invading their territory, animals see humans as a threat and natural instincts cause them to defend their territory, and then people want to blame the animal as if it did something wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.