Trail Camera's

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by RL357Mag, Sep 13, 2009.

1. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Has anyone ever used a game trail camera? I purchased one yesterday at Wally World for $50 made by WildGame Innovations. It's only a 1.3 MP camera, but it has an IR sensor good to 30' and an automatic flash supposedly good to 20'. It has 24 hr., Day, or Night modes and a programmable delay of 30sec., 1 min., or 2 min.( why would you use a delay?). It takes pics in .jpg format and with the onboard memory can store 22 pics. It also has a slot for an SD card wich can store up to 2,800 pics. It records date and time to track game movement and seems like a fun way to determine game activity. I will be using it on my own property so I hope it doesn't get stolen!

2. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

My brother who has some land one county east of me, has two of these things. He gets lots of coons, javelina(occasionally) and sometimes a deer. He also gets turkey and anything else that can trigger the cam. IMHO all you can see is what WAS at your feeder. If you want to harvest this animal, YOU have to be there. On the other hand, knowing what is around can be an asset.

3. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I never used one before, but it's my understanding that the purpose of these camera's is to "pattern" deer. Each pic has a date and time stamp, so if you see the same buck in the same place, at the same time every so often, that would be a good indication of where to set-up a stand location. I'm not using a feeder, we have no javelina in NY and they're not legal here for deer. I'm just trying to pinpoint areas of frequent traffic.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  4. OC357

OC357 New Member

I saw those in wallyworld and was tempted to get one. I didn't though as I don't have any place safe to set it up.

I am curious how good they work. To test how good it works, you could set it up in your back yard and walk in front of it I guess.

I would still be curious how good it works for you.

OC

5. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Well I tested it at home yesterday and the pic quality is pretty good for 1.3 MP. It came with a USB cable and downloading the pics is the same as a digital camera. I hung it on a tree next to one of my stands this afternoon and I guess I'll leave it there for a few days and see what it captured. I'll post the results if I have any...

6. OC357

OC357 New Member

Sounds good. You will find out how many deer come by your stand. Could be interesting.

I want to see bigfoot pic's.....haha They claim he has been sighted around Whitehall several times. Maybe he will wander over your way???

OC

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I use a StealthCam. It has produced many pics. The date and time stamp is a huge help. I've gotten a few bucks, but mostly does. A hunting buddy uses two cams in different areas. He has come up with some huge bucks, but always at night. I will be setting mine back out this week and I will check it next week. I always use scent cover on the strap, my path and clothes as if I were actually out hunting when I set-up the camera. Human presence in the woods after several months of none can possibly change the travel routes. :)

8. Jess

Jess New Member

we have a few that we use where we hunt. Its nice to see ALL of the deer in the area for a few months before we hunt so that we know what to shoot, and what's out there. We have the digital one that you plug into the tv and view on there. neato

9. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

The delay is a nice feature if your trail came is set up by a feeder. That keeps you from getting tons of photos of the same game. Mine is set on a 10 min. delay still average 30+ photos a 24 hr. period. I have the same brand, the time and date feature is starting to crap out after a couple of years, still taking photos though. We use the SD card and check photos once a week.

10. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Thanks for the info - I was wondering what purpose the delay served (other than allowing me to get out of the target area after hanging the camera). I don't have a feeder and my camera has a fixed minimum delay of 30 sec. which will be more of a hindrance than a help since any deer just passing through will probably not be captured unless they hang around the "target area" for 30 seconds...

Yeah, the problem here is that the big bucks are nocturnal. I don't use attractant scents, I shower with scent-free soap and use Hunter Specialties "Scent-a-Way" to wash my hunting clothes, and sometimes I'll use a fall foliage cover scent that smells like dirt. I also rake all the leaves off the path to my stand. It's a pain in the a$$ since my path is 1/4 mile long. I may use a leaf blower this year...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  11. Hawg

Hawg New Member

They are everywhere.

I don't do any of that and I still get a deer or three every year. I've killed several deer while smoking. May not get one this year since I quit a few months ago tho.:D

You'll like the camera. You'll get pics of not only deer but fox, squirrels, rabbits, etc. You might be surprised at what all comes by your stand.

12. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Bought one of those cameras last weekend, although, I didn't get any deer picture I got some real nice ones of me. Next week I'm setting it on a trail with a lot of tracks at the bottom of my ridge, a place where I never have hunted and often wondered what time those deer moved through there. Good investment for a mere fifty bananas. I give it 4****.

13. ghostndawoodz

ghostndawoodz New Member

We own 1500 acres of managed land here in east texas. We use cameras religously and i stand by them 100 percent we are currently using Moultrie GameSpy 4.0's with an led sensor. The date and time are a must and i love the way these things work. Each year we name the bucks different names so we know what buck to kill and not to kill and to identify that he is no longer on the property when he is taken. These are a great invention and i suggest one to everybody.

14. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

In my opinion, its another tool. We have some out where I hunt and it's nice to see what all is coming thru the area but doesn't do anything for you during the hunt. It's cool to see the various animals and the different deer in the area but thats about it. It does help if you are planting different foods in different plots. You can see what they like, at what time of year, etc....

15. Win73

Win73 New Member

I bought a Bushnell at Walmart for $100. It was extremely unsatisfactory. I took it back and got my money back. I then went to Academy Sports and bought a Moultrie for $90. It is 4 mega pixel. It is a flash type instead of infra red. But I am highly pleased with it. The flash does not bother the deer. A friend of mine has a Cuddebak that he paid $200 for. Mine takes almost as good pictures as his.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Well over the last several weeks I've been through 3 sets of batteries and over 21 days of total use with the cheap WildGame Innovations s1.3 camera which WalMart is selling for $49. What a piece of crap! The 30 sec. delay makes it worthless for anything other than hunting over a feeder, where you don't want 25 pics of the same deer. Unless the deer in your area are extremely vane and searchng for fame and glory, a 30 second delay will allow them to pass right through the target area before being photographed. I am going to buy the Bushnell or some other brand that does not have a pre-programmed delay built in. Also, the quality of the electronics and sensor is such that unless the camera is pointing in the opposite direction of the rising and setting sun, the pictures are "washed-out". Don't waste your money on WildGame Innovations unless you hunt over a feeder.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I want the new Bushnell Trophy cam 5mp it is 6" tall by 4" wide. It is one of the smallest cameras out there. I am just worried that when I put it out the place I would put it I can't get to every week I would be worried all the time that some one would steel it.

18. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

A few company's make locking brackets to secure the camera to a tree. Unfortunately there isn't a lock made that can't be breeched or a cable that can't be cut, especially in the woods, where you have all the time in the world. I've known people who have had tree stands stolen - it's best not to worry about it, cause there's not a damned thing you can do to prevent it.

19. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7451&stc=1&d=1257608868
    DSC_0009.jpghttp://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7452&stc=1&d=1257608887
    DSC_0020.jpghttp://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7453&stc=1&d=1257608906
    DSC_0021.jpg

Here's some pictures from my $50.00 Walmart camera. As you can see the deer were pretty nocturnal. There's a pretty nice scrape in front of that oak tree that these deer were visiting.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  20. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I picked up a Moultrie 5.0 at Cabelas freind and family sale this weekend. Got it for $56 marked down from $149. I Have it set up down back in the wood to se what is traveling through, alot of tracks and scrapes but I have yet to see anything.. I hope to catch em now