Traditions trapper build

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by magnumman, Sep 23, 2013.

1. magnumman

magnumman New Member

My dad gave me a traditions trapper pistol kit for Christmas last year. I have always enjoyed wood working and building things so this was a great project for me. After quite a bit of fitting parts, finishing wood and steel, and trigger tuning, the project is finished..... Sort of. The dovetail for the front sight is larger that the sight itself making it a sloppy fit. Does anyone know of a way to make it a secure fit short of tac welding it in place?

Here is what she looks like

image-939732233.jpg

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Looks great. How's it shoot?
    A couple of taps with an awl (dimples) on the floor of the dovetail should fix the issue. If not a couple of hits with it where the edge of the dovetail meets the sight should do it.
    If it isn't too loose to sight in first I suggest you do that.

3. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Great, thanks for the info. I will give that a try. It shoots pretty good for having a loose front sight lol.

This is 10 yards 1 handed.

image-2967820241.jpg

I shot 6 times so it isn't as great as it looks

4. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I have always wondered about those pistols.

5. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I'm far from an expert on this kind of gun, but it they are a really cool design. It is more ergonomic than the cane handle design of the Kentucky pistols, and the set trigger is fantastic once you get it the way you want it.

6. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I would buy one if I knew where to shoot it I'm guessing indoor range is out of the question and I doubt my out door range would like the smoke...

7. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I go to the game commission range up here in Pennsylvania. It isn't rare to see people shooting black powder. I don't think there in an indoor range on the planet that would let you shoot black powder.

8. readygirl

readygirl New Member

JB Weld....? I dont know, maybe something to consider. Nice job..beautiful gun..

9. readygirl

readygirl New Member

The LGS/Range i work at allows BP on the outdoor. In fact, Thursday evenings are primitive only....lots of fun. I have 2 BP revolvers, and a Thompson Hawken. some of them dress the part, some real charicters....lol

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Hey that's good shooting for what you're working with. What caliber is it? (.45 I assume) what size ball and thickness patch are you running? How many grains of powder? These can all be tweaked a bit to pull in the grouping.

11. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Thank you.

12. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

Looks like a real nice job. Looks like you now know what other gunsmiths have learned over the years. You can take metal off, but you can't put it back on. Why don't you buy one of those automatic center punches, or sharp pin punch. You can stipple the metal inside the bottom of the sight dove tail. This will raise the surface of the metal, and maybe get the sight tight. If it is still too loose you could opt to use a shim, or find or make another sight. You have put a lot of work into building this pistol, take you time. I think you will more be happy with your results. than welding it. I may be wrong to some, but I don't like to subject gun parts to extreme heat, before trying other things

13. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Thank you. I plan on doing it without any modern equipment. I am going to take a punch to it to start with but it is really loose. I may have to make a new sight base if that doesn't work. I had no intention of welding it, that was me being a smart @$$. I did all of the work to this point with sandpaper, carving tools, and files. The last thing I am going to do is take a welding rod to it.

14. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

Magnumman, no sweat, it's better to be a smart a**, than a dumb one. Good luck

oh, if it is still too loose, try light taps, with a non-maring hammer over the fount and back edges of the dovetail. Baby taps, testing the fit for change as you go.

15. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I'll give it a shot. I am on the middle of a 2 week work hitch at 12 hrs a day 7 days a week so I won't have time to work on it for a while. I just want to finally get this thing finished up so I'm doing my homework before hand.