Traditions 1851? revolver

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by paul, Jan 13, 2012.

1. paul

paul New Member

I purchased online GunB...er, NIB, steel frame, .44cal Questions is: Did the Navy/Army make a .44cal that year or was it only in .36cal?

Also, I've never shot a BP revolver and I'm getting two different recomendations on cap#, how does a #10 or #11 sound? The manual doesn't state cap size only fffgpowder and weights, from 17grains up to 25grains.

Enjoy the shooting sports, :)

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Typicallythe service with those refers to thecaliber- and the Army model was 44 cal. The Navy model was 36 cal (See, the Navy wuz wimps even back then.... :p) and Traditions has both the .36 Navy and the .44 Army.

Standard cap is pretty much #11 cap. You can find #10s, but you will need to hunt for them. A #11 squeezed slightly will fit on a #11 nipple. Check owner's manual when you get the gun.

(all of you sailors out there- put down the marlinspikes- just kidding!)

3. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I got this for Christmas and no were in manual did it mention size of caps. I went on line and it said to use #10 caps. #11 will work if you crimp it.

Attached Files:

4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The 1851 in .44 is a modern fantasy piece. Pietta is the only one still making those. #11 caps pinched before you put them on will work if you cant find 10's

5. paul

paul New Member

Traditions BP

Thanks for the picture 007, it looks just like the "kit" I purchased for $200. One thing I'm finding out about BP is, a person needs an abundance of caps/primers to clear gun and keep firing balls down range.

Enjoy the shooting sports, :).

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Guys, I don't shoot BP revolvers (only because I don't have one) buy I want to point out something I keep hearing, and that is that there is a chance of a chain fire with pinching the caps. I don't know how true this is, but many rumors and myths have their basis in a truth.

7. thdrduck

thdrduck Member

I have no idea how pinching a cap could cause a chain fire. Failure to use an over powder wad or lube over the ball may result in a chain fire, but the only thing pinching the caps will do is make them fit tighter so they won't fall of by accident.

8. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

thdrduck has it right. I put a few rounds thru mine yesterday.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hey that's great. I did point out that's hearsay. I just wanted to share it, just in case. I didn't see how it was possible myself...

10. 007BondJamesBond007

Crisco works on top of the balls to prevent chain fire. The lead balls in the gun not your balls.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Glad you clarified, don't want anyone to be thinking that could be a new form of birth control.
    "hey baby, this prevents chain fire, I know what I'm doing, trust me"

12. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Although it feels pretty good on the balls....hehehehe

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh come on! Foodstuffs do not belong there!

14. 007BondJamesBond007

I just spayed my coffee on my computer.

15. onetuza

onetuza New Member

I put tresco/ampco nipples on my Pietta 1851 Navy 44 and Remington #10's fit purrrfectly.
    I did notice that the Tresco's are a little longer and engage the hammer whereas the stock ones just cleared it, so no dry firing with the Tresco's.

16. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Chain fire is caused by caps which are not fitted properly. The chain fire is not cured with Crisco which melts with the first shot. These imports have nipples for #10 caps. Chain fire is caused from heat passing over an open vent just like the firing of a flint lock. The chain fire is BS anyway. When it happens you will seldom know it. The ball goes about 15 ft. and hits the ground. So what no big deal.:) If you want an over ball lube use a high heat product such as Mobile One Red Steering gear grease. Auto Zone has it. If you use Tripple 7 no lubes are need.:)

17. rachilders

rachilders New Member

There is a bit of wisdom passed down to me by an old time BP shooter about chain firing that I'd like to pass along. I remember talking to my grandfather before he passed away back in the 1960's and he told me how things were "back in the day". I was a teen just starting into my use of BP (we used original, not replica guns then FWIW), he was almost 90 and had shot BP guns as a boy in the late 1800's. He told me that as long as the bullet was in the chamber snugly, there was no need for any sort of lube. In fact, his father and older brother would consider it a waste of time and money since it was something else they'd have needed to carry with them, plus grease cost money... something in short supply for most folks. If a spark could get past that ball of lead, the ball is too small and will probably fall out - along with the powder. He said the only time anyone put something like grease over a revolver cylinder was if they were using the gun to fire "blanks" (as a starting pistol or just to make noise on New Years for example) and it was to keep the loose powder dry and from falling out. Anyway, I could see his point and except on certain occasions, I haven't used a lube in almost 50 years and have never had a chain fire from any of my BP revolvers. Of course, that's just my experience and I'm not telling anyone NOT to use a lube if you so desire.

18. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Chain fire is mostly BS. When it happens you will most likely not know it. The ball pops from chamber mouth and hits the ground. Putting Crisco in a chamber mouth is a waste of time. This is a low heat product and is mostly melted and gone with the first shot. Crisco is used to soften black powder residue. Chain fire is caused by caps not fitting properly or falling off the nipples. The parabolic flame from a fired cap passes over the open vent. The heat from this exploding cap fires the open chamber. This is the same way a flint lock rifle with a vent is fired. The imported B/P revolver is made to accept #10 caps. The only cure is to use #10 caps or order #11 nipples from Track of the Wolf or Dixie gun works Etc. You can use expensive Ox Yoke wads for lube. I would use a small amount of Mobile One RED High Heat steering arm grease. You can get this [Non Petrol] grease not oil at Auto Zone for $5 bucks for a years supply. Note Colt did not recomend any wads or grease in their revolvers back in the day. Many modern day Compt. shooters do not use lubes or wads. They are messy and expensive. I would load with Triple 7 powder no B/P mess to clean up and is very clean. Good Luck:)

19. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

One vote Wonder Wads - no chain fire, no mess.

A good shot used cornmeal to enure each rd was at end of cylinder. Never tried it personally.

20. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Now I wondering if it was a waste of $$$ but that was "wisdom" of the day and it was semi-accurate (uniform load)