trading firearms

Discussion in 'Kentucky Gun Forum' started by kymike, May 21, 2013.

  1. kymike

    kymike New Member

    Im trading my rifle for a pistol. We both are ky residents. Does anyone know if its alright to just exchange guns with a written receipt or does it need to be transferred? I have never traded before and want to know what is needed to do this. I dont know the guy and im just worried it might be stolen or something like that.
  2. DrumJunkie

    DrumJunkie New Member

    Face to face sales by two non FFL people can be done with no transfer. No receipt is even required. I do like to make up a bill of sale and have a copy for me and them to show I did sell/trade it and to whom. I like to see a drivers lic also to make sure they are a Ky resident.

  3. Sniper03

    Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter


    There is nothing illegal about the trade. But not knowing the guy is a concern of mine also. You might ask him where he got it. If he advises from some guy walking at a gun show! I would pass! But if he can advise the specific shop or dealer at a show you are probably OK! You could always pay a Dealer the $25 or $30 to do a transfer for you and do the checks. Also Drum Junkies has good advise if the gun may have been non traceable.
    But the law does not prohibit you and he from trading being in the same state of KY.
  4. kymike

    kymike New Member

    Id like to transfer but he is 3 hours away from me and I always get delayed every time I try to get a firearm. My wife can buy them like they are groceries. Lol. I guess ill do the trade. Thanks for the advise guys
  5. unclebear

    unclebear New Member

    what I usually do when I do a trade is get a name make sure they have a pic idea to back it up and and then if they actaully do all that I go and make sure that the gun isn't stolen usually I got to the police station and they can run it and it takes a few minutes but it's a lot better then getting pulled over with a stolen gun. If they don't show me a pic ID and what not I walk away. Also a written bill of sales and signed by both parties before anything changes hands.
  6. Vikingdad

    Vikingdad New Member

    Here in Cali if we could legally do a Face-To-Face without an FFL transfer and I didn't know the guy I would run the serial numbers through a cop buddy of mine just to be sure.
  7. Mongo

    Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

    You should make sure you are not trading for a stolen gun
  8. kytowboater

    kytowboater Well-Known Member

    I like to draw up a bill of sale/ receipt. I only do deals with people who have a valid ky CCDW.