Traded for another Savage today

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Txhillbilly, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

My friend got an older left hand Savage 12 223 on trade at his shop.It's in pretty nice shape and doesn't look like it was shot much.
    It's a pre-accutrigger model,and has a new model Redfield 3-12x44 scope with (I think) Talley rings and bases.This scope has some decent glass in it,I was surprised how clear it is.
    The older LH model 12's had a blued receiver and a 26" fluted stainless barrel. I'm not sure on the twist,but I think it is 1-9 or 1-8 on this model.

I traded him my Saiga 223 with scope and extra mags and an older Nikon Monarch that came off my Ruger #1.

I'll get some pics in a day or two,and try to load up some ammo and try it out in a few days.

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You ARE the Savage Dude! Nice find.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Very nice.

If you cared about us you'd post some pics and a range report.

You gonna make us wait again?

4. Txhillbilly

Some of us don't have regular work days or hours.But I will try to get some pics taken for you.
    I won't be going to the range for a couple weeks,I got stuff to do at the deer lease.

So the answer to your question is YES!!!!!! You gotta wait.

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Promise???

6. Txhillbilly

Alright,Just for M14Rocks-Here's some pictures of the rifle.

Left Hand Savage Model 12,223 caliber-Redfield 3-12x44 scope with Talley rings and bases.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not really fond of Talley vertical split rings,they are a real pain to install or adjust a scope without ruining the finish on a scope.I see a 1pc rail,and Burris Zee rings in the near future.

The Redfield scope is a nice scope,but the tube length isn't long enough to mount my ND3 Laser on,so off it came and on went a Mueller Eraticator.I have one of these on my RRA AR15 and love it.

[​IMG]

7. Txhillbilly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While cleaning,I measured the twist rate-1/9 twist.
    I have also measured the chamber,and loaded up some test loads.I'll try to get to the range tomorrow,and see how it shoots.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Much better......

And I agree about the Talleys. Pretty, but a pain.

9. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Cool beans Tx

But what's the deal with the first post and you saying I'll have to load up some rounds?:eek:

What kind of Texan are you to not have at least 10,000 in a bunker ready to go?:D

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

And, where is our range report?

11. Txhillbilly

Jo,I do have several thousand rounds of 223 loaded up but they are just loaded at spec size.I load all my loads for my bolt guns by measuring the chamber and then start my loads at .40 off the lands.I then find out just what the gun will shoot best,and work the loads out from that base ammo data.

You'd be surprised how far out you can seat the bullets in some rifles,and amazed at how much better they shoot with a bullet closer to the lands.

M14sRock,Lay off that left coast water.Your loosing your sanity!!

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Losing? Haha....

13. Txhillbilly

Ya Got Me. Smarta$$

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Not a spell check, a rhetorical question.