traded for an AR-10 today.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by deadworm, Apr 16, 2011.

1. deadworm

deadworm New Member

got a pre ban armalite in 308. almost didn't trade as it isn't a flat top. anyone have
    any idea on cost to machine off the handle and drill and install a picatinny rail?
    have a 3x12x50 scope to put on it. will match my ar-15 then. 2 black guns, I"m in heaven. well, the armalite is green but what the hell. :D

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It would be much cheaper to swap it out w/ a flat top upper.

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I would think it to be easier and cheaper to just swap out the upper for a new flat top. By doing this you wouldn't ruin the value of the rifle and you could always change it back.

4. shnorse

shnorse New Member

they do make rail mounts that go onto the carry handle so you can put a scope mounted to the handle... the scope does sit pretty high though

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Terrible, terrible idea to cut off the integrated carry handle! It's needed for structural integrety of an A2 style upper. Like others said, replace the upper receiver instead.

6. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Congrats on your purchase!!
    As others said it will be much more cost effective to just purchase a new upper with a flat top

7. deadworm

deadworm New Member

ar-10 trade

dont see how spending 7 to 900+ is "cost effective" when the mod will be less than 150. dow arms tells me removing handle and installing a picatinny not that rare of a job. that seems to be the way flatops began.
    decided to just put a compact scope on a utg mount and try it for awhile.
    thanks for the advice though guys.:cool:

8. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I think he thought we meant complete upper when we said to replace the upper.

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Ah ha, makes more sense ;)

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

while shaving off the handle may be cool now it will completely ruin the value of the firearm regardless of how well it is done. better to just buy a stripped upper from armalite install the current pieces in the stripped upper and save the value of your gun.