trade

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by hegotahemi20, Sep 25, 2012.

1. hegotahemi20

hegotahemi20 New Member

Looking to trade my Ruger SR9 for a glock what should i do to make sure i get the most for my trade?

2. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

As much as i love rugers you will have to put up some cash with your sr9 to get a glock.
    I would try and trade it locally.

3. hegotahemi20

hegotahemi20 New Member

I know would have to put up some extra cash for it. How would i find out the value of my gun before i trade it

4. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Look online. See what sr9's are going for.
    Maybe take it to a gunshow. See what people are willing to pay.
    Why do you want a GLOCK?

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Assuming its in good shape you might get about $350 for it on a trade max. If you want more put it up for private sale or consignment.

6. workman5487

workman5487 New Member

A lot of dealers are limiting there trades and u will get low balled on it best bet is as was stated before go to a show or private sale or Maby look for a used great condition glock .

7. Unimproved

Unimproved New Member

With a dealer your almost certainly better of not trading. Sell it and bring cash with you. It may take a little extra time doing it that way but the used gun market favors the seller at this point.

8. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

In Utah we have a Craigslist-type online classified. KSL.com. Whenever I am selling a gun, and it's a newer model, I generally sell them within a weekend. People have told me that a used gun loses 20%-25% as soon as it's sold, but the prices here don't usually reflect that if they are in good shape. $350 sounds like a good deal for that, but you may end up selling for closer to $325. Either way, Good luck with that. I would trade a Glock for an SR9 straigt across, but that;s only because I detest Glock so thoroughly...

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I recently tried getting ballpark prices from dealers on some long guns a friend of mine wanted help selling. I went to several gun stores and got a wide range of pricing. If you go to a show or LGS, get as many valuations as you can manage, then compare that with maybe the Blue Book value. I was quite frankly disappointed in what some of the stores offered as an estimate. One place (The Gun Vault in Mountain View) I called ahead and explained that I had 4 long guns that I wanted to find out a ballpark as to what they would be worth if I were to sell them myself, and they said to bring them in. I drove up there, explained why I was there, again saying that I was going to sell them myself, waited 10 minutes or so for the store owner and again explained that I wanted to sell them myself. He took them out one by one, took his time in looking them over, and then said "I'll give you $1000 for all four."

I said that I did not want to sell them to him, I wanted to sell them myself, etc.. He said he wouldn't give me those values, he would only make an offer on them.

Long story short, I sold one of them (a Browning BAR) for $1000 by itself, the others were shotguns, one I kept as payment (Mossberg 930) and the other two sold for another $1200.

Nice.

10. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

Nice story Vikingdad! I'm glad you got that sorted out. I can't believe they tried to do you like that... Well, I guess I can, but I don't like it. Guns are like cars. Selling to a dealer is something you do ONLY if you have to make the sale at once.

Also, I just did a used gun check in my area (Northern Utah) and prices are right around the $340 used range. Not bad since they can be had used for $400. I just got my SR40c brand new for $390 out the door, but my dealer is pure awesomeness. Love you, Mr. Smith! Lol

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I sold some of them on Calguns.net, If you have a similar forum in UT then I would recommend listing it there as "For sale, or trade for Glock".

The part I left out was that Kerley's in Sunnyvale did give me a better estimated value, closer to what I sold them for. It paid off for them too because when I was there doing the transfer with the guy who bought the BAR I picked up a Savage Model 24 they had for sale, then when I sold the Remington I saw a Single Six there on consignment, which I eventually bought as well. Giving a good estimated value for free brought them some good business.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I traded a Glock for the SR9c. Glocks dont fit my hand well except for the G36. Make sure you try out the Glock model you want before you do any trading. You might wish you had not traded.

13. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

That only makes sense. Deal straight with folks, and they will return. And with most avid firearms enthusiasts, they will return again and again lol! I buy a lot of gun stuff... Firearms, ammo, holsters... Any extra penny I have goes into my hobby. I've dealt with all the locals, but I found a guy who went out on a limb to help me layaway my Match (I LOVE that pistol!) I wanted it, but it was a bad month. Anyway, he helped me out, and in the last year I have purchased six guns and have another waiting. And it's a 100 mile round trip to get there.

As for trading, I'm done with that for a while. Last month a "refreshed" the armory. Got rid of 3 I didn't like/use, took a modest hit, and picked up two that I know I am in to. And paid half on another lol! I love buying, selling, and trading them, but after I get this PT100, I have to give it a rest for a while... That's what the Missus says anyway ;)