Trade???

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Gojubrian, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

A guy wants to trade his SS Taurus PT1911 for my xd40sc.

Yes, no, maybe so???? :) :( :confused:

2. suprdave

suprdave New Member

3. FreedomFighter69

FreedomFighter69 New Member

No Way ! Now if it was a Springfield, ParaOrdinance, Sig Sauer, or Colt 45 I'd do it, but not the Taurus 1911. Your XD is actually a better quality gun than a Taurus 1911.
    Don't do It ! Save your $$ and buy a Real 45 ACP like a Springfield, Sig, or Colt !!

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Gotta agree. Although the Taurus SS is a pretty piece, it is a hit or miss in terms of quality...you may get a winner or a dud. With the XD you know what you have...sell it for cash and buy a Springer 1911 or as Cane would say, "buy a Colt...only way to be sure." YMMV only my $.02 :D

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I agree with Jpyle.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Can you shoot it? Perhaps field strip it?

We have a couple of PT 1911's come thru the shop and they worked and performed flawlessly when we took them out to the range ( one was for a customer's son returning from Iraq and he wanted some changes and one was for Brett's family member ).

I have heard the horror stories of the Taurus line of 1911's - I just haven't seen the MASSIVE problems with the units that others have. *shrug* Maybe the West Coast gets the first production runs since we are the furthest away from the factory. :p

Taurus went thru and redid their manufacturering facility a few years ago with state of the art CNC machines. Their tolerances got better and from what I have seen their pistols are very good.

Now, I am sure there are Friday afternoon produced crap in anyone's line and I am sure that some of the Taurus criticism is 100% warranted.

If you can shoot it and strip it, check it out for yourself, I say go for it. If you can't and it's a straight up trade with no rounds fired by either party, I say pass.

JD

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

The Taurus 1911 in stainless was my first ever 1911. I was quite happy with it, but used it for trade fodder.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

The taurus is good to go and has tritium night sights.

Man.......this might be too good to pass up. :)

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

If you've tried it and it worked, why not? The Taurus 1911 is not on the CA list, so I have not bought one. But I asked a friend to buy one and try it out. He was impressed enough that he went back and bought another. And he is a fairly well off guy who can buy anything he wants.

First chance I get to buy a used one, I'll do it and see what all the fuss is about. If it is in spec, and takes other 1911 parts it'd be fine by me.

10. FreedomFighter69

FreedomFighter69 New Member

I have nothing personal against Taurus guns, I own a second generation Millennium in 40 S&W, and have owned quite a few others in the past both revolvers and semi-auto's.
    I just don't think the trade itself is worth it or fair. If he was offering a Glock model 30 that would be about the same range of quality. I don't blame the guy trading up the Taurus for the XD, he knows he's getting a heck of a deal, may even be snickering as well ! I just don't like to see people get ripped off that's all.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

XD's in my area are selling used for $350-$375 as the market is flooded with them. The lowest I've seen any SS Taurii 1911 is around $500. If it isn't bubba'd - I'd make the trade in a second. I've had a couple and other than the ambi safety falling off - no real complaints. Not a gun to build on but they are good shooters.

The only Taurii I'd ever own again is a 1911 or a 92 - you couldn't give me a revolver or polymer gun...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  12. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I concur with what Dave stated above. It would be a good trade for a good SS 1911 shooter and/or a trade pistol for later on down the road, if so inclined.

13. StanDJ77

StanDJ77 New Member

I agree, the 1911 is the ultimate platform but; im not sold on the brand. Springfield is a much better brand than taurus.

14. hideit

hideit New Member

i agree with the above

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

:confused:

Springfield's are worth about $100 less.

Nevertheless, I hink I'll keep my xd40sc, it has sentimental value. ;)

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Happy Hell Goju - Are you ever going to make a deal on a 1911? :p

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I will eventually. :eek:

It has to be one that I like and not too much though. :)

18. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Goju, watch gunbroker like a hawk and add a $20 to the jar every pay period. A deal will come up.

19. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That is what I did about March when I was wondering what the 2011 models would look like.

I got a tube with sealed ends, but a whole in the top, glued the lid on, and when I got paid, I made sure to "Pay myself First" and put money in every time. Sometimes it was $10, sometimes it was a lot more if I had small bills, but I always put money in there of some type BEFORE I did anything else.

It added up fast and when I was ready to make my order, I had a nice chunk of change for a down.

Highly Recommended for future purchase if you have some dedication and some patience. ;)

JD

20. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

My problem is that I like them all to one degree or another.....