Trade, no guns involved, check it out

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by trip286, Jan 5, 2012.

1. trip286

trip286 New Member

My Grandfather was "semi famous in a small town" as a bluegrass and gospel musician. When he passed, I inherited his truck, an '87 Ranger. In the 3 years or so that I've had it, it's seriously gone down hill, with now 340k miles on it, and a motor that isn't know for being extremely reliable, I don't find this very surprising.

I stopped at a small town dealership today, just to see what overpriced crap was on the lot because I had about a half hour to kill. Turns out I met my grandfather's biggest fan. One of the salesmen came out to talk to me, and after a few minutes we discovered we knew some of the same people. Then he figured out who I was, and who my grandfather was, he insisted that he just had to have that truck.

In the end, I traded the truck (keep in mind it had more problems than you can shake a stick at) for a '95 Nissan pathfinder with 160k and purrs like a kitten, minor bumper damage, AND a '84 Mercedes Benz 300 SEL Diesel fixer upper with 220k, supposedly only needs a key and to charge the battery up to get it running.

He tried to also throw in his 1 ton ford extended cab, but I just simply couldn't take that. It was a total junker, but it runs. I just told him that 1 ton would cost too much for me to drive down the road.

All this because of who owned my truck before me. He said he considers it a collectors item. My Grandfather and his brother have cut a few tracks with Jerry Lee Lewis and Ernest Tubb. Ernest Tubb actually offered my great uncle a full time slot in his band, to which the drunken rockabilly guitarist replied "no one in your bunch is good enough to play with me." This guy was there in the bar when the offer was made.

2. m72law

m72law New Member

sounds like you made off with a very good trade trip;)

i would have took the 1ton ford also in the trade....even if i had no way to haul it to the scrap yard,i would have got a wercker to haul it for me.might would still make 400+bucks or so....& another 100bucks or so if the 1ton still had the factory catalytic converters on it.;)

no sh*t Ernest Tubb.....:eek: awesome!

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh the 1 ton was running, it was just in extremely rough shape. My sister told me I should have taken it too, and just put it on craigslist.

Kind of wish I had, but I already felt like I was ripping the guy off, even though I didn't deceive him at all, and told him all about the trouble I'd had with the truck.

4. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

I no what you mean I got my late grandfather's 83 or so Chevy k20. Its a beast and for sum reason all the guys want it in my family hmmmm.. I think not

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Got around to getting some pics taken. Here's what I got out of the trade

ForumRunner_20120113_135645.jpg

ForumRunner_20120113_135721.jpg

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

And here's what I gave up. Things were wearing out on this truck faster than I could repair it. The Pathfinder runs great, and he claims the Mercedes runs even better, but I've yet to even get a new key made for it.

Attached Files:

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Excellent horse trading!

BTW, one of the campus officers at the Desoto Center for Northwest did security for Jerry Lee Lewis on some of his trips. I think Hammer may have left Northwest though.

8. RJMercer

RJMercer New Member

Good trade! Mercedes put an awesome 5 cylinder diesel in that body style. When you get it running you'll wish you had got one sooner.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

This one is the 300 SD turbo diesel with the 3.0 inline 5. I've been looking at reviews all over the internet, this make/model/motor/year seems to be a little bit of a collectors item. People are logging over a million miles in these. I'm very interested in getting a key made and seeing just what exactly I've got my hands on here. Hopefully I'll have that done around the middle of next week, or have the key ordered at least. I called the dealership and priced it, $38.

10. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

That pathfinder shouldn't give you too my issues. I am a big Nissan fan. (80s and early 90s models) ive personally had 3 pathfinders and 3 D21 pickups. Very cheap and easy to maintain, not to mention you almost cannot kill them.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm not really such a big Nissan fan, but the last time I tried to take my truck to my mom's house I ended up on the side of the road with a noise that sounded like a wind up monkey banging cymbals together. That was Christmas.
    With that truck and those miles...it's treated me well, and had been reliable, but it was getting ready to give up the ghost.

12. cankiller

cankiller New Member

I recognize that truck.......there was a small trap door between the frames that was used to transport large sums off cash......last I heard it was still full:eek:

13. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Trip, I saw both the ranger and the pathfinder. I think you made a good trade. As for the benz, a nice bowl of gravy. What more could a man want.

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Trip,
    That Nazi Road Oiler (the Benz) is one of the best cars ever built! Fix that puppy up and you will laugh at all your friends who are driving cars or trucks that wear out in a quarter million miles. Not only that you can fill up the tank out behind the local fast food joint and she'll eat that oil up just as good as diesel from the pump (best filter it first though). They do suffer a bit in mileage with fryer oil, but they will run just fine on it.

Heck, if you weren't so far away I would offer up a trade for it.

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm up for a road trip, what would you be willing to part with if this thing actually runs as advertised? :)

I may want to keep it though, I don't know. I've been told they get anywhere from 18 to 30 mpg depending on how well they're tuned.
    And it sure is purdy.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I dunno. I've got some stuff lying around. I really can't use another car though.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't really have a place for it myself, buy I'm curious as to how much I might like it. I cadent heard a bad thing about it except for the cost of diesel.

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Fix it up and drive it. You never know.

19. orangello

orangello New Member

Wasn't that the model on that Mythbusters episode about running oil in your diesel?

[ame]http://youtu.be/QEX1YFXYTdI[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  20. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't know, but I know that certain amounts of hydraulic fluid will run in a certain caterpillar motor.

And I keep hearing something about adding a point of ATF to every full tank with this car, something about keeping the fuel management system clean.