Tracking Stories of Self Defense - GunsSaveLives.net

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by dcannon1, Dec 5, 2011.

1. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Hi All. I'm new here, but I'm active on several other gun forums. I'm posting this around the horn to try and get the word out about a new resource I'm trying to get off the ground.

I've setup a simple, streamlined site for tracking self defense stories in the news.

Hopefully this will turn into a great place to send people who ask questions like "Why would you ever need a gun?" or "Who ever really uses a gun to defend themselves?"

Anyone can submit a story.

I know it's not the first site of this kind, but I've got it setup in such a way that it's extremely quick and easy for me to manage. I've also hopefully minimized copyright issues with this setup.

I welcome and encourage feedback as to what could make this a better resource for the 2A community.

I'm just trying to get the info out there right now, but if there is an issue with this post Mods please feel free to move or delete it.

Guns Save Lives - Stories of Self Defense

On Facebook: Guns Save Lives on Facebook

2. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

+1 and a bump!

I'm pretty disappointed that this hasn't received more feedback from this group yet...!

3. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

This is rather intriguing in that we get to read actual accounts
    going on around us, which ultimately corroborates our reasons why
    the 2nd amendment is so important to us as a people. Good luck!

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Great reading there. Guess it got buried before I got a chance to see it. Thanks for posting.

5. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

6. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

Great idea

Attached Files:

7. boltaction

boltaction New Member

Great idea and a great site. Got it bookmarked.

8. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Thanks for the support all.

I'm looking into setting up even more categorization options than just type of weapon and state.

9. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

I'm subscribed to the thread and look forward to your bumping this thread with updates :D

10. Bizdaddy

Bizdaddy New Member

Subscribed gonna go "like" it on Facebook.

11. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Thanks! I'll make sure to keep you guys updated!

12. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Hi All,

Just wanted to drop in and give a quick update on the GunsSaveLives.net project.

A lot of people have asked how I'm going to handle the fact that many news articles will disappear over time.

I've discovered an archiving service called WebCite that will create an archived, mirror copy of news articles on demand.

You can see how I'm utilizing the new service on one of today's posts: NH Woman Uses Handgun To Stop Daytime Home Invasion | Guns Save Lives

I really think this will make the site much more legit long term as people will hopefully always be able to view one copy of the source articles or another.

13. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

A very useful addition. Glad to see it!

14. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Hi All,

Just wanted to drop in a give a few updates on the GunsSaveLives.net project.

- We're getting close to clearing 400 stories of self defense
    - We are in the process of categorizing every story by state, weapons used and victim demographics and we're hoping to use this information to build a more robust advanced search feature.
    - We've changed the site layout to be a little more user friendly
    - We're adding between 1-3 new stories per day

So if you have any stories you want to submit or any feedback please feel free to share it with us!

http://gunssavelives.net

15. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Bump!!!

(felt like with all the negative press recently, it would be nice to have some fresh ammo to fire back with!)

16. bkt

bkt New Member

Thanks for doing that. I was looking for this site earlier to make a point to my left-leaning, gun-grabbing brother.

17. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

No problem...I feel like this thread is way unappreciated and underutilized by members here.