Tracking round counts

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Hectocotylus, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

How many people actually track how many rounds they have through their guns? I seem to read all over about how someone has 373 rounds through such and such a gun or whatever. Is this actually important? If you do this how do you keep track of it all?

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

After the first couple boxes of ammo I have no idea on a round count on any of my guns. Ands for it to be a pretty low round count that means for me that it's probably going to be used as reade fodder for another purchase.

3. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I don't think it's that important except during a break in period, and then to the nearest 50 works for me. About the only other time I do round counts is if I have a problem. Then I want to know how many failures I have out of a certain number of rounds. One failure out of every thousand rounds makes it a range only gun. One failure out of every hundred rounds makes it a trade-in.

4. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

I might have an idea in my head but I could care less about the exact amount. I know when it is time to clean it, and when it is time to feed it.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

When I come up with a round count it goes like this.

I have had this gun for 2 years. I shoot it about once every two weeks. I shoot about 100 rounds each trip. So 52 trips x 100 rounds = 5200 rounds. I would say that gun has somewhere around 5000 rounds through it. But it is really just a rough guess.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I don't keep up with the number of rounds that I shoot in any gun. I shoot em until they break.

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

All of my guns have exceedingly low round counts compared to what I've read here. But even then, I cannot seem to keep track. When we go out, and somebody else uses the gun, it's usually with their own ammo. So that gets lost pretty quick. I've even tried putting the empty brass back into the box, and that is for a gun that is the only one that shoots that caliber. I'm still off, I think.

8. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

I imagine sometime in the distant future our offspring will have guns designed to count rounds. It'll be part of the computer chips installed by the leader who know better than us. Sorry....

9. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

If you shoot long range many people keep a "Dope" book with every shot recorded along with weather conditions and other info. Other than that I don't know exactly why other than the reasons given by other posters here.

10. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

It matters to some extent in some circumstances. Varying levels of OCD will dictate just how much in each individual.
    Semi auto pistols - You will probably need to change your recoil spring at some point after so many rounds depending any number of factors.
    Rifles - I'd be willing to bet most serious High Power match shooters, Bench Rest, and probably other disciplines I'm unfamiliar with, have a pretty good idea how many rounds they've put through their barrels.
    In other types of firearms, I suspect it's just keeping track for the sake of keeping track.

11. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Ya it seems that everybody with a used gun for sale knows the exact number of rounds through it. Maybe a little bit of fantasy there...

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree!

my round counts are estimates that i figure are anywhere from 50-100 of the actual rounds i have shot through them.

used guns, all i can do is estimate the number of rounds i have put through them.

the exception to the used gun round count was my very lightly used XDm40 i bought at my LGS. my LGS sold it to the original owner and stated he had only put about 50 rounds through it and had the pistol for less than a week. the original owner was frequent customer and the LGS is well respected. he traded it for a new XDm9mm simply because he didn't like the 40 and wanted another one in 9mm. the man owned about four or five XD's and XDm's.

13. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

I keep up with it for the first 500 rounds to make sure the gun is reliable. I have one friend who saves the empty boxes and brass for reloading, he rounds his 'count' to the nearest 50 or 100. I have another friend who literally keeps notes of every round he shoots. So, when he says he has shot 1,276 rounds, I believe him.

I find keeping records like that kinda disturbing, but humorous at the same time.

14. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Long range dope book here. Know exactly the round count of the target rifles.

15. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I reload, and have different loads for each gun. I keep track of how many times which brass has been fired and either full length or neck resized.

I buy five hundred cases at a time.

I load, store and shoot boxes of fifty. And keep the brass in the same box for it's life.

So, I can figure out how many rounds I've sent down the tube of most anything I own, if I want to. But in general, I don't keep track of how many rounds I have shot in each gun in the rack. If the groups start to spread, and I can't figure any other reason, I might figure out how many rounds I have through the gun.

16. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I've bought one used that I actually trusted the sellers count on. I bought it from the same LGS the original purchaser did. He bought 200-rounds with the new gun, and he had four boxes of twenty left. He didn't like how it shot.

It is a Ruger No. 1, in 204 Ruger. I went to heavier 40-grain bullets, had the trigger reworked with a two pound pull, and tweaked the torque on the forend screw. It is now a shooter.