Tracking down an old gun...help wanted!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Psubowhunter54, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Psubowhunter54

Psubowhunter54 New Member

Hi all,

This is my first post here, and I am looking for any help someone may be able to offer.

When I was 13, my grandfather and I traded a Marlin model 336 for a Winchester Model 70.
    It wasn't until years later that I learned the history and stories behind the Model 336, and it's been one of my biggest regrets.

I was able to find some info on that gun, but I'm curious if there are any 3rd party services that can help/act as an intermediary to try and find the current owner, or if there is any way or place to put out that I'm looking for this particular gun to try and buy back.

A few stats on the gun:

Marlin Model 336 .30-.30

I traded it at Gander Mountain and it was sold on 10-16-2007 to someone from New York State.

Serial Number: 2680

I know its a long shot, but I figured someone has had to have made the same mistake I did and might know any way to gain some more information. I greatly appreciate any help you might have.

imaregularjoe likes this.
  2. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe you will have to get records of that transfer from the specific store. They are required to maintain the federal form but allowing a private citizen to access those records would be a stretch. Good luck.

3. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

That rifle may have legally changed hands several times since.
    With or without paper trail.

Best thing is to put such a Want to Buy...........on last purchaser's state's hunting/gun forums.
    Or on Marlin Owners forum.

Don't get your hopes up.

Lots of people buy guns and never visit forums.
    Many don't record serial numbers.
    And a lot of folks don't take care of their guns.

IMHO best to buy one of similar vintage and make new memories with it.

4. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

The Marlin 336 is a common rifle, and as such gets sold, traded, pawned often (in my area).
    Old one vs newer...............most buyers just look at them as "walnut or other".
    When people need $ they often dump the rifle they use the least, or can replace easiest.
    Maybe NY being a HP rifle state............rifles stay put longer.
    I dunno.
    Might have better market value and be traded/sold more.
    In a state like that, every 3rd house proly has one.
    Needle in a haystack kinda thing.

5. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

I did that with a Winchester model 64 .30-30win.
    It had a long history before I reassembled it.
    It came from a eskimo village.
    I got it as a box of parts for $50
    I had to buy another $60 in parts to get it to shoot.
    It was the most accurate 30-30 win Id ever owned, had it 7 years and stupidly sold it.

6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Sure it is a long shot, but people win the lottery every week. Good luck. I will say this; I would not appreciate an FFL giving my name or contact information to someone looking for a gun I purchased.

7. FFL01user

FFL01user Active Member

I understand your interest in tracking down the particular firearm, but it's pert near impossible. As mentioned, it could've changed hands via private sales many times leaving no trace. Even having Gander Mtn. as a starting point is futile as there's no way they'd release (or take the time to even dig for) any information in regards to a firearm sale for a non law enforcement entity. Same applies if the firearm was sold through other FFL's inthe course of its travels.
    NY didn't require private sales to go through an FFL until 5+ years after the firearm in question was traded in to Gander Mtn. so if it was resold in NY betwen 10/06/07 and early 2013 there was no legal requirement for the sale to have to go through an FFL. And there again, the information would never be released to a non law enforcement entity.
    As a start, you could try posting in NY firearms forums with information on your search. As alluded to earlier, and the NY Lottery motto, "Hey, ya never know". There's MANY forums out there. If you want to start with NY as it was the last point of sale to your knowledge, start with:
    http://nyfirearms.com/forums/
    https://nygunforum.com/
    There are many others, Google will be your friend. It will be time consuming for sure, but that's what it's going to take if you are to pursue your quest.
    Good luck...

big shrek likes this.
  8. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, my friend, it would be WAY more than a stretch! 4473 forms are the property of the Federal Gov-ment, the dealer only holds them for 20 years, or until they close the doors for good. Each January 1 of a new year, the records that I've kept for the duration of time required, are shredded and then carefully placed in a 55 gallon empty drum. A match is used to light a cigar and then purposely dropped onto the shredded pile.
    When quitting business those records must be sent to the BATF-E, bound records included, when the license is surrendered, if the mandatory holding time has not expired. The ONLY entity that I will show my records to is the MAN with the gold badge and he ain't no local dude, LEO, or otherwise. The compliance agent told me that if any LEO persons ask to see those records, I should call him/them immediately and he/they will speak with the requester. He is on my phones "speed-call".
    If anyone were to ask me if they could see the Gov-ment forms, I'd show them the door, pronto, if they were to argue, I'll use my phone and move my 1911 a little bit closer.

JTJ likes this.
  9. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

If you have it in mind to use the rifle to hunt, you could save yourself a lot of grief by
    simply getting a new one. They are still in manufacture. But as somebody else pointed out,
    they are extremely popular, and used almost as a form of currency, in some circles. Here,
    most guys have a 336, and most who don't have a lever gun in some other caliber.

If you are trying to track down that specific rifle, many things could have happened to it since then, a lot of them not good. You could try putting out notices in the local area where it was sold, but if the person who bought it is interested in selling it, IMO that would be an
    extra-ordinary piece of luck. Especially if they had a reasonable price in mind.

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Bowhunter,
    Sorry as many have advised it would be a true miracle to find that rifle. I do understand how you feel since I inherited all of my Grand Pa's Guns.
    I did check my older Marling 30-30 that I got on Gun Broker three years ago since it is pretty old. It is not the one you are looking for. But with the number 2680 that Marlin is very old! Good Luck and hope you have that miracle occur. Wishing you the best! . Welcome to the FTF!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Bowhunter
    Is the total serial number #2680?

12. BWM243

BWM243 Active Member

I did the same with a Rem 788 223 that I would like to have back any 788 223

13. BVAL

BVAL Well-Known Member

Same here on the 788-223, should have never sold it. It was a good go to for turkeys and hogs.