Tracing our Ancestors

Discussion in 'History' started by tinbucket, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Middle kid doing some ancestry stuff......pops side (Europe) not much past WW1
    Mom's side supposedly back to revolutionary war and then across pond.
    I don't really care about it..........not doing DNA crap either.
    Figured I beat my genetic predisposition to own a restaurant. Good enough.

My ol lady was born in France.
    Her mom doesn't talk about the old country.

2. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Irish maternal line. Left Ireland on the run after publically calling the King of England a "whoremonger" . Daughter born on ship. Three grandfathers back denied the right to vote due to his "actions in the recent rebellion" (Civil War). Appointed postmaster by Teddy Roosevelt. Green/blue eyed redheads. Left one good gun - Browning 16 gauge special order quail gun.

German paternal. Flax farmers. 2 types of Germans - one washes the porch each day, no shoes in house. The other never throws anything away (my folks). All good people with no known felons. One hid out in a cave for part of the Civil War after soldiers tried to steal livestock whom he fired upon. Prior to WW1, schools were in German. Left "Germany" (at the time ununited) to avoid conscription or becoming a preacher. Left good guns - Winchester, Marlins to the kids.

Dallas53 likes this.

3. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i'm just a mutt. but i am a registered mutt! :):D

4. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

We're considering labelling ourselves "Ozark Americans" on forms that ask for "nationality".

Dallas53 and headspace like this.
  5. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i list "Texan" as my nationality! :):D