Tracing our Ancestors

Discussion in 'History' started by tinbucket, Oct 9, 2017.

1. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

too sloppy. Wait until I have something in good order to publish.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've traced some of my ancestors back to Talitha in the Ursa Major system and Rigel in the Orion system.;)

3. tinbucket

Wife says I'm a Neanderthal, so I've been here before all you aliens showed up. :)

4. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

My dads side were potato farmers until the famine.... my mom's side is straight up Godfather mafia Italian

winds-of-change and Dallas53 like this.
  5. Viking

Viking Active Member

My mom's cousin traced the ancestors back to France, through Ireland and then to America. I have the printout somewhere, but after skimming through it I came to the conclusion that I am what I make myself, even though there were preachers, maybe doctors and one that fought in George Washington's Continental Army. The only reason I might want to know something about past family is if there was some sort of medical quirk in the family line that could be a problem with me or my son and in consideration that I just turned 75 yesterday, I don't think I'm all that worried about the medical end

6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I spent a year doing research. The earliest ancestor I found was a Scotish Viking know as Sven the Skull Crusher. He has the reputation of being the ultimate Viking. He met a bad end on a raid in Dublin, but he left some seed behind.

I was able to develop an unbroken line from him. Before my Father the family was wealthy which means more records exist.
    The wealth left when my Grandfather, who was a 60 year old wealthy planter and merchant divorced his wife and ran off with my 20 something grandmother. You go gramps!

Money left for good with my drunken Father who thought he deserved Gramps lost fortune and stayed pissed about it all of his short life.

Dallas53 likes this.
  7. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i'm kind of like a mutt. a little bit of everything from everywhere.

some people have said that you need to do a DNA sample to know exactly who you are, and what your ethnic makeup is. frankly, i really don't care, since what does it really change? nothing that i can see.

i have a pretty good idea of where i place on the family tree and where it leads back to, and i'm satisfied with that.

Viking and winds-of-change like this.
  8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Viking, SRK97 and Dallas53 like this.
  9. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I know my ancestry. My Mom once told me that the Buzzards laid me and the sun hatched me!

Viking likes this.
  10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe my earliest known ancestor was a Saccorhytus, but there is no paper trail to prove it. I sometimes thing some people descended from rocks.

AZdave, tinbucket and Dallas53 like this.
  11. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

could be where the saying, "older than dirt" comes from! :)

12. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

I can trace my ancestry back to Adam and Eve. My grandfathers grandparents really were named Adam and Eve.

My uncle did a lot of research on our family history. On that side Grandma was Irish Grandpa German. I don't remember the details exactly but the jist of it was on Grandmas side those Irish boys loved them some English girls. The sirname stayed Irish but I think the blood is more English at this point. This was very upsetting to my uncle who bought into the IRA crap back in the 70s. Grandpa was all German, his parents were born here, but he didn't learn english until he went to school.

On moms side it is pure unadulterated American Mutt! One of them got here in mid 1600s and the intermarrying began! :D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    tinbucket and Dallas53 like this.
  13. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Dad’s side came over as ships carpenters with William Penn, and hung around Pennsylvania, as carpenters, cabinet makers, and millwrights, with quite a few newcomers bred in down through the generations. One of my great grandfathers on that side was a north river wetback. During the 1880s there was a quota on how many Irishmen could enter the US each month. He got to Boston after the quota was reached, so they sailed north, and he got dumped in Now Foundland. From there he went west, and started working on barges on the St Lawrence canal system, and ended up in Syracuse.

Mom’s side were mostly the tire or fourth sons of westward moving pioneer families. Who somehow ended up settled in southern Idaho, rising horses on the desert, to sell to the army as medium draft horses, and cavalry mounts.

My parents met in early 1944, in Boise. Dad had finished his 25 missions in the 8th Air Force, and had been stationed at Mountain Home AFB, as a gunnery instructor. Mom was going to what was then Boise City College, and working at Sears. They literally bumped into each other on the sidewalk, and went for coffee. Three dates later, the we’re engaged, and got married the next time dad could wrangle a four day pass. That lasted 54-years.

Both of them credited the success of their marriage to having been engaged to Catholics, and doing the three month long premarriage counseling, and figuring out from that, that they didn’t really want to spend the rest of their life with that person. But, the counseling had taught them what they were looking for, and when they met they were both certain after a few dates.

tinbucket, JTJ and Dallas53 like this.
  14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My family tree had a lot of people hanging from it. At least on my father's side.

tinbucket and Dallas53 like this.
  15. tinbucket

I have become fascinated , with the many things Ancestors were associated with and did.
    Doesn't do anything for me, as I've been shot down on every corner.
    I would like to leave a mark in history for Relatives, even though I won't have any Grand kids.
    I wish I had been around when any or all of My Ancestors were here.
    I it in better living in the woods and fields and along the rivers than now.
    Even Dad and Family hunted and fished streams and camped at no longer available, places or so polluted no one would want to.
    The thoughts of hunting not for the week of so that I did, but for months without seeing another human, with just a gun or bow and ax, is right where I would like to live.
    Even in my youth the only sounds at Grand Ma's, where I sent much/most of my time the only sound were the bell at the school tower miles away, and an occasional crow, or a Whistling Jack, or an axe or saw.
    The best food I ate was fro her wood stove, or over a fire along the creeks and along old trails or traces.
    On the other side, White men labored more than lived, bound to accumulating land and wealth. That is most but some like my early Ancestors, were more close to the ground and living but even they were driven to accomplishment.

16. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I have no idea passed my grandparents, both maternal and paternal were French Canadian.
    I am tempted to do the DNA test but haven't yet. I can trace my last name back to a wine region in France but that's about it.

tinbucket likes this.