Toxic Plant Guide

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Doc3402, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I don't know how many might be interested in this, but if you plan to stay in your local area if the SHTF, you can get a guide to local poisonous plants through your local county extension agent. It normally covers plants you can't or shouldn't eat as well as plants that may cause allergic or sensitivity reactions on contact. The best part? It should be free.

2. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

My plan is simpler if SHTF....invite all my liberal friends over and cook for them until I find out which plants actually are edible.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

One plant you need to become familiar with if you live in the south or eastern US is pokeweed. Pokeweed will grow anywhere there is full sunlight. When you find pokeweed you will find a lot of it. Pokeweed is tricky to eat. In some stages pokeweed is just as tasty as asparagus. In the right stage the leaves are just as tasty as collard greens. Once the plant matures it becomes poisonous. The only edible part of a mature plant is the berries. The seeds in the berries are poisonous. The antidote for pokeweed poisoning is raw egg whites whipped into a meringue. Only one person has ever died from pokeweed poisoning. But it will make you so sick you will want to die.

4. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

:eek: You have liberal friends? How do you stand it?:D

5. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

"foodtasters".....:D

6. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

It still seems like a high price to pay for safety. I was planning on using my in-laws.