Tower for Desktop Passed Away

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by mrm14, Aug 22, 2010.

1. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

The tower for my desktop finally give up the ghost and went to PC heaven.

I've been running my business off this cheap laptop for several months now and I'm more than done using a laptop for my office.

Also, I occasionally like PC gaming and want to run some of these new power hungry games that I've seen over the last year or so that my older PC couldn't run.

Now I think theres more than a few persons here on FTF that know computers like they know the back of their hand and I would be greatful with their insight and reccomendations for what I need / want.

What I want is a powerful PC gamer with uber graphics and sound, and what I need is an office computer that will run Autocad full version along with some other propritory engineering programs. Also, I most likely will, from time to time, want to interface it into the AV amp and 55 inch 3D HDTV in my home theatre for pure gaming pleasure.

Whats your thoughts for whats on the shelf to buy and your thoughts on having one custom built?

2. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I would suggest building your own. For a high end gaming machine your talking 1500-2500 if you build it yourself vs 6000-8000 if you buy it from a vendor. But you get a warranty with a vendor. As for what the best parts to put in it are, check out Tomshardware and Maximumpc for the answers.

3. opaww

opaww New Member

You can build a mid to high end game comp for about 600-2500 depending on what you want in it. Check out what they got at Tigerdirect.com

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

If you want a high end gaming PC here is the one I would go for. Origin Genesis Desktop Computer Review - PCWorld

Building is not so much of a savings any more. I would just look at getting a nice higher end Media center then get a good ATI or Nvidia card with HDMI out and get yourself an HD monitor. I got my wife an HP with an ATI HD card and an Acer HD Monitor and it is amazing what it looks like.

For a office PC running auto cad your going to want to look for one with a ATI's FIRE GL or NVIDIA Quadro. These cards don't come cheap either. They are built for the use of autocad and design type software. If you want the best of the best for a workstation Autocad computer Look at a Mac Pro. These machines will stop any windows machine into the ground. http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  5. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

6. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

all I can say is "Alienware"...

7. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

True, just too expensive for a budget build!

8. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Yea thats definitely true!! But it sounds like money isn't really this guys problem when you read what all he has to use it with :p

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

True, budget is not a problem as this thing will be capped out on my companys taxes and Uncle Sam will pay for alot of it for office supplies on the Schedule C. I cleared this with my accountant.

I ended up having a custom tower built. So far I'm in for $2818.23 for componets I was directed to buy at Frys from the Intel hardware engineer thats going to build it. That includes the Windows 7 Ultimate operating system. He's going to supply the rest of the few componets for the build for about $400.00. No charge for his time as we have had somewhat of a business relationship for several years now.

In about 5 days or less form now I should have my new tower and ready to rock.

Oh, and the Intel guy says this tower should smoke anything Alienware has to offer.

10. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

You're alive! Good!

x2 on building your own. It's nice to have control of not only what goes in the box, but to have an os without all that bloatware crap that dell and the others put on.

11. cameronguyton

cameronguyton New Member

+1 for Newegg.com

If you build it or order a prebuilt, either way it will be obsolete very shortly.

:)

12. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

The Intel guy is absolutely right!! If you're gonna drop $2800 into a CUSTOM computer, you are absolutely going to get something better than any regularly produced computer can give you. So I approve of your choice 100%! Even though my opinion hardly matters :p

13. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

You know, I looked at the Apple Mac Pro 10 with 12 core, and I'll have to say it's a pretty damn good computer, but after a long discussion with the folks at Apple it appeared to me that some of the things that I needed to do with this computer would have been somewhat problematical with the Mac. I brought some of the the design software to the Intel guy (not the auto cad) and he run it up on one of his computers and figured out exactly what was needed in the hardware department of this computer build. Along with the other things I wanted to do with this computer I'll be ending up with a beast of a machine that should seamlessly do exactly what I want.