total shock.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Zamzow, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

I went to my wifes uncles to shoot some clay. He pulls out his 12g and sprayed WD40 down the barrel and in the action. I was literally stunned to c him do this.

Zamzow

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

When it gums up, laugh.

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

Wow what kind of gun is it

4. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

A poorly maintained one apparently

5. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Yeah, no kidding. I can't stand WD-40. I won't even let that crap near my cars.

6. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

I believe its a winchester gauge but not sure. I was in to much shock of the WD40 to look to c. Lol.

Zamzow

7. Retaks

Retaks New Member

I used to use WD-40 on my old beater semiauto 22. I didnt care about that gun at all. I take great care of my guns but for some reason this one i didnt and i dont know why. It would get dropped, wet, dusty and i would barely clean it. Id swab the bore to check for anything in it and shoot the crap out of it.

8. kytowboater

I use it lot on the boat, ratchets that are froze up, etc. I love the smell of it.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I keep my WD-40 with my Dremel. :eek:

10. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I prefer PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench.

11. kytowboater

Pb blaster is amazing stuff.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

If you don't have some, get it!

13. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

i have a case of pb in my tool box. and when i used to take my xterra offroading i would have it in my truck box. there is 101 ways to use that stuff.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I use WD 40 for one thing- displacing water. It is good for wet plug wires, or when I am hot bluing steel parts- after I pull them out of the boiling water bath, hit them with a shot of WD 40. There are better spray lubes, and MUCH better penetrant oils.

I like the spray version of Kroil-

aerokroil.jpg

15. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

WD-40 is much maligned, but it was all I used for years with no problems. it's not the best lubricant, but it is a good cleaner and a very good protectant. Scores well in all corrosion tests. It is a solvent for itself, so if you spray and wipe, no build up, so I suppose if you spray and don't wipe it would liquefy the old stuff too. Most light oils will get gummy if you spray them on heavy and let them dry out.
    I am sure we can now expect the usual repertoire of old wives tales about WD-40, but I have found that's all they are.

16. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I have used WD-40 and similar products on guns for many many years. As Virginian says its a good (and cheap) cleaner. I like it way better than gun scrubber or brake cleaner as its safer and leaves a little protectant. Never really used it for lube. I feel if you don't have some near your bench, you should. Certainly not the best penetrating oil(Kroil), not the best lube(many), not the best protectant(many), good cleaner but it can do all those jobs in a pinch.

17. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Automatic transmission fluid... awesome stuff, lol

18. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I have used ATF a lot, with excellent results. In my vehicles.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i used WD-40 years ago, but found many better products over the years. PB Blaster is my go to penetrant in the garage for things automotive and such. now for firearms, i did use Hoppe's #9, but since trying Kano Kroil, i don't think there will be any other product used from now on. that stuff is amazing in loosening screws and nuts, dislodging gunk, and removing rust from blueing.

BTW, C3, who carries it in the aerosol form?

20. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member