Total noob here

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by TankTop, Aug 27, 2012.

1. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi all, new member, new to guns... Mostly... We recently moved from communist California to the land of the free. My wife and I would like some personal protection firearms in the house so I am thinking a Glock 19 and a mossberg 20 guage tactical shotgun. Going to sign up for some classes at the local gun store first!
    But on to this forum, I really want an AR. I want to go cheap to begin with and I have done lots of research. I know I won't be putting insane amounts of ammo through it, so how important is a chrome barrel? I know I don't want a carbon model anything, I don't think it will hold up over the years (correct me if I'm wrong). From my research any of the decent manufacturers can be upgraded forever. If anyone has any other suggestions of I should look for, please let me know. Lastly, I think I want a detachable carry handle. I should probably learn to shoot with the iron sights before I get fancy.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Welcome to FTF. What's you idea of cheap?

3. TankTop

$600-$750,don't want to go over that.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You're probably looking at a s&w then.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

yup SW MP15 is a good starter gun. their lowers are decent enough and you can always have new uppers mailed to your door if you decide to upgrade to a more rugged build.

6. TankTop

I'm not too concerned with brands except for which ones are most easily upgraded. I know they are supposed to be universal but I'm betting some will be better than others, ie, parts don't quite fit perfect.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I your price range this is where I would go . I own 2 of these. both very accurate and reliable . This particular rifle is ready to shoot all you need to add is ammo comes with rear magpul sight and 1/30 rd mag .

Use FT for the discount code to get this price . Free shipping also

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  8. TankTop

I can almost read that ^^

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

made it bigger for ya

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  10. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Or you could build your own...:D

11. TankTop

My other thought is to save my money a bit longer and get a Remington R-15. Not a big fan of the camo, but I hear that can come off easy. I'm guessing the remington is probably as good as anything unless I want to spend double.

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

you can get some pretty decent rifles for under $1000. for around the 750 or less range you are slightly limited. for that price i would make my own. its actually pretty easy. i just finished my first one last week. or save just a little bit more and get a stag, RRA, PSA. the S & W are good but lack just a couple options id rather have than not have.

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Anyone know anything about this place ^^^^^^^ I keep hearing their name but they only have 19 items in their whole store :confused: ??????
    Sounds iffy to me , I will keep my business where I know I get good customer service

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I deal directly with one of the partners. Not the home base in cali who is incharge of the website. They manufacture ARs for Leo and have recently branched out into civilian use. I'll have much more information on their ARs in about 2 weeks when I receive mine along with a spec sheet.

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

You didnt build that , Someone else did !!!!! :D
    Quote from our fine pressssss........ Cant say it either . Leader I guess will have to work, and not much of one at that

17. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

Don't get all ate up with fit and finish. These aren't Weatherby hunting rifles. They are weapons of war and should be used as such. Buy what fits your budget, shoot it till it bleeds then shoot it some more. Throw it behind the seat of the truck and take comfort knowing that it's there to use when and if necessary. No need to treat it like a prom queen. You can treat it like a drunk college girl at spring break. Have fun with no guilt about bumps and scratches.

EDUB

18. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Someone else stamped/milled/forged the parts but yes I built mine. Look up the definition.

19. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

From the sound of how you might like to use it, there's nothing wrong with a commercial grade AR (chromoly lined 1:9 barrel, AR15 BCG, commercial fittings, etc). It will probably serve you very well, and the truth is many people probably gain very little from more expensive milspec designs.

Something like a $700 S&W would treat you well. And yes, it's pretty upgradeable.

Folks like the milspec rifles in part, because what you can get into for about $1000 becomes more of a "workhorse" compared to a "sporting" commercial rifle. Whether we actually work them hard or not, many of us just like to know they capable enduring that abuse.

I've got both kinds, and have enjoyed both. Go cheap, and use it as an opportunity learn what you're after before dropping the bigger bucks.

20. rurak

rurak New Member

S&w m&p 15 sport. No frills ..... 640$ ready to shoot