Torn between a 7mm or 7mm-08 any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Remington1994, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Remington1994

Remington1994 New Member

Hey guys I've been thinking about getting a third deer rifle. I have it narrowed down to the 7mm rem mag or the 7mm-08. Have also thought aboyt a .300 win mag I know a little overkill. Can anyone help me out.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well, what do you have now and why are you thinking you need another caliber.

there is a huge difference between a 7mm Magnum and a 7mm-08 in comparison to ballistics. there is a huge difference in felt recoil. the 7mm-08 is very gentle and well behaved in regards to recoil and the 7mm Mag. can be a shoulder briuser in certain rifles and ammo.

so a little more detail into the why's and the conditions of your reasoning would help us to make better informed suggestions. without that, i can't even begin to suggest one or the other.

3. Remington1994

Remington1994 New Member

Right now I have a H&R 25-06 single shot and a Remington Remington model 700 .270 win. kind of want a good brush gun caliber thats why I was thinking 7mm. Someone told me a 45/70 would be a good brush gun.

4. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

Isn't the parent cartridge of the 7mm Magnum the .375 H&H Magnum?

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

yes the parent cartridge case was the 375 H&H as was it the parent case for the 300 Win. Mag. cartridge. the 7mm R.M. came out in 1962 by Remington in the then new M700 rifles. new rifle and cartridge.

the 7mm-8 is a necked down 308 with a 7mm bullet that had been around as a wildcatted 7mm/308 for years until 1980 when Remington put their nameon it and made it a standardized cartridge, the 7mm-08.

6. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I have been killing deer with a browning BLR in 7-08 for about 15 years. It is a great deer round. I think the 7 mag is a bit overkill for deer unless for are trying to shoot them from a very long distance.

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

IMHO, a .308 is just about perfect for eastern U.S. deer hunting. Will handle some brush, short action for a more compact rifle, and can reach out if shooting on a power line or gas line right of way.

Nothing wrong with that .270 either.

Yes, I deviated from the question, but it is the interwebz.

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

My vote would go to the 7mm-08. For deer hunting,you don't need a Magnum caliber of any caliber.
    If you were planning on Elk,or Moose,then I'd lean towards the 7mm Mag or any of the .308 calibers.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

"thirty-aught-six".................

10. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Neither the 7mm Rem Mag or the 7mm-08 are brush cartridges. The 7mm-08 is just a 308 necked down to 7mm . The 7 mag is a hell of a long range deer round that is pretty much a .270 on steroids (.280 for sticklers). If you want a brush gun get a 30-30 or a 35 Remington in a compact lever action. The 30-30 will be the most affordable to shoot.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

There is not such thing as a brush cartridge. Use your scope to pick your shots and place them well. Shooting thru brush is a beginners mistake.

12. cotex

cotex New Member

Read an awful lot about the 708 and I love it for years

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Follow Hardluk1's advise. Your .270 which is in fact a 7MM or 6.8 MM 06. 7MM conveted to inches is .275 your .270 is .277. The .284 is 7.2MM so you can see we are counting "Frog" hairs. The numbers are so fine?;)
    "Brush" rifles are like "Sound" shots in a word reckless. It is a hunter's responsibility to only take a shot under safe conditions.:)

14. Remington1994

Remington1994 New Member

30-06 is on my list of guns to own. I only found 2 manufacturers that make them in left handed bolt action. Remington and Ruger. The ruger m77 hawkeye standard is a good looking gun. Dont get me wrong I really lole remington but dont really feel like spending $1000 on the model 700 cdl.

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You can get one in a Savage for 1/3rd of that, with a scope !............

16. Remington1994

Remington1994 New Member

Savage has them in left handed?

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I have a friend who swears by the 7mm Mag. It's a very flat

shooting round. Two major drawbacks are recoil and blast, and

it's @2$ and up for decent cartridges. I'm given to understand it goes

over 300 yards almost flat.

I try to get not only an advantage by caliber, but also by taking

advantage of as many usable rifle features as possible.

I'm going to step out on a limb and recommend a Mossberg MVP Predator.

In 5.56, it also shoots .223, is a bolt action, uses standard AR Mags,

and is a great size for brush. Short range, 5.56 is very

flat shooting, being a 22 magnum. Low recoil makes it fast on followup shots.

Short range, 5.56 has great penetration and power. When you can't find any

hunting rounds in 5.56, something good in .223 is usually available.

And this little Mossberg wont break the bank.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  18. TLuker

TLuker New Member

A brush gun doesn't refer to the ability of a bullet to go through brush. Bullets don't go through brush and stay on target so you should never even think about shooting through brush. A brush gun refers to how well a rifle works in the thick brush, and that means short and maneuverable with a cartridge that will drop game quick. You don't want to go trying to track something like a deer or a hog in thick brush.

A 7mm mag is not a brush gun. The barrels are longer on magnum calibers and the bullet is moving too fast at close range. That means they aren't very maneuverable or easy to carry in thick brush so it isn't going to handle well. It will also go clean through a deer and keep on going. That means a lot of the energy it has is never used on the deer. A 7mm-08 could make a great brush gun. You can get smaller rifles in that caliber and it's a really good general purpose cartridge.

30-30's are one of the best brush guns ever but that's in part because of the lever action rifles that 30-30's generally come in. Those lever action rifles are short, maneuverable, and offer fast follow up shots. They also come with good iron sights that can be a lot more useful in the thick brush than a scope. The caliber itself is also ideal because it hits hard at close range and most of the energy is expended on the animal. 35 Remington is also great and so is a 45/70 for the same reasons, but they more kick than a 30-30 and a 30-30 is more than enough for any whitetail with in 200 yards. A 30-30 is also easier to shoot off handed or in odd positions because it has less recoil, that to can come in handy in thick brush. :)

19. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I myself am a big fan of the 7mm magnum, I have taken a lot of game with my Mauser 98 in various terrains, weather conditions, and distances, it has always served me well. I reload so I can stoke it for elk with Nosler Partitions or load it down with Sierra Game Kings for deer and prairie goats. It is expensive to shoot factory fodder but if you pick up some dies you have a lot of options and I heartily agree that shooting through brush is fool hearty at best, pick a good shot, and brush rifles to me, are the fast handling rifles,, I have a couple, but I always seem to grab the Mauser instead,, it just shoots so well,, the rifles you already own are in fine loads for a good deal of hunting situations,, but it's so much fun getting a new rifle though,, have fun.