Torn. 40 or 45?

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by jdsaler, Jul 30, 2007.

1. jdsaler

jdsaler New Member

I've shot both and just can't decide on which one I want.

Could really use some feedback on which you prefer and why.

2. allmons

allmons New Member

I have to go with the .45

The recoil of the .40 is sharp. I find the .45 more controllable and the ammo is relatively plentiful and inexpensive. There is more than 100 years of real world ballistic data that suggests a near perfect bullet for combat. Why change for an unproven format? You can hot load 9mm to match the .40, but why? The .45 is there for you.

:)

3. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I suggest you go to the range and rent both if you can. I went with the 45 just for recoil reasons. I felt my accuracy was better with the 45 at quick shooting because of the recoil difference.

4. Captain Skippy

Captain Skippy New Member

Go with the .45, 100 years of succesful use can't be wrong. Many military units are begging to have the 45's back, and many police departments such as mine are starting to ditch the 40's and adopting the 45's. if the 45 didn't work, it would not be the continued success and most carried weapon of all time.

5. LunchBox

LunchBox New Member

At this point, I would have to say .40 only because I dont have much shooting time with the .45. As someone else had suggested, go to a range and rent both..

6. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

I have always found the .45 to be more accurate, but YMMV. The .40 is a snappy round and hard to control during rapid fire (double taps, ect). Honestly I sold off all my .40 stuff as I just never saw any purpose for the round. If you want compact stoping power just load a 9mm with +p. If you want real stopping power from a pistol then good old .45 is hard to beat.

7. Balou

Balou New Member

I used to shoot lots of 40 with my Sig, Ruger and HK. I have since stepped up to 45 for oomph. Unless it is summer and boiling hot out, my 45XD goes pretty much anywhere with me. I am a full size American though, so I can hide the pistol relatively easy though.

8. Dirk

Dirk New Member

Caliber selection is a hotly debated thing.

I've owned 6 XD's, and I personally prefer the .45.
    Some will argue about how some smaller caliber rounds can stop well.

No one argues about the stopping power of the .45.;)

9. greenjeans

greenjeans New Member

.45, Easier to shoot and around here the .40 and .45 ammo cost is the same.

10. tuckinauster

tuckinauster New Member

i have a sig 226 in a .40 and my dad has a sig 220 in a .45. they are pretty much identical weapons, and i have put a lot of rounds through both. i actually prefer to shoot the .45, i like the recoil a little more and its easier to control. i am a better shot with my gun, and i have grown accustomed to the recoil. the other thing i really like about the .40 is the capacity, having an extra 4 rounds is kinda nice. all in all its more of a preference thing, get what fits what your gonna do with it.

11. Defender

Defender New Member

Another vote for the .45, for reasons already stated in this thread.

12. Samhain

Samhain New Member

I have a .45 & a .40...
    .45 for home defence, & at the range
    .40 for carry

Looks like I'm the only one who likes the .40 better.....

I'm a smaller guy, so the .40 I can conseal better,...
    Don't get me wrong, I love the power of the .45 at the range,
    and it is the 1st gun I grab for home defence.

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I personally own an XD 45 ACP and I LOVE it!! I havne't fired the 40 but I have fired the 9mm. I have the 4" barrel service model and the 9 was the same. My accuracy was similar with both, both were comfortable to shoot and so I went with the 45. If you are concidering the 40 at all I'd look at the 9mm for ammo costs if you are doing a lot of shooting. I think a 9mm with a good round is very effective for self defence and you can get the sub compact for easier carry. Of course if in any shooting, especially self defense, the most important thing is control and bullet placement. If you can't hit what you're aiming at, you aren't going to stop it.

14. Defender

Defender New Member

If you're going to buy a 9mm for self-defense, make sure you use jacketed hollow points.

Personally, I'll take a 1911 .45 over either the 9mm or the .40.

15. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I for one have never been a big fan of the .40, if you look in to the .40 the only nation that uses it or has any intrest in it is the US. Military units are now looking at going back to the .45 and with a pistol like the XD45 they will have a great pistol for the future.

People talk about the 9mm being under powered, not a good defensive caliber, yet the Germans, British, and Canadian's have use the 9mm for well over a hundred years not to mention 2 World Wars and a host of bush wars. The Luger and Browning Hi-Power were used ust to name a few.:confused:

For me, I have carried the Sig P229 in 9mm for the better part of 10 yrs before I purchased the XD45 about 2 yrs ago. I Love the fact that the XD carries the same numbers of rounds per mag as the Sig:D.

If you choose the 9mm or .45 you can not go wrong. One of the things you must consider is ammo. Surplus 9/.45 ammo is cheaper then ammo for the .40 any given day of the week.:D:D

16. JohnnyBlk45

JohnnyBlk45 New Member

Think stopping power, XD 45ACP 13 +1, you can't get no better than this.

17. beasley

beasley New Member

The .45 is a more powerful and accurate round than the .40. The reason people are so loyal to the .45 acp is that it really is that good.

18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

How do you figure the .45 is more accurate? That largely depends on the gun, and moreso on the shooter.

19. beasley

beasley New Member

Not really sure why it is, I just read that it is. Mas Ayoob makes the claim in one book I have but I don't have it with me. I agree that the gun and the shooter have more to do with it than anything else. I like the .40 but just trying to point out some differences.

20. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I understand that, I was just looking for something definitive. For all I know it may very well be. Don't most competitors use a .45 in 1911?

My friend has the xd in .45 and I get tighter groups than he does with my .40 3inch. :)

May have to start trouble....I mean a poll. :D