top break revolvers

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by stormcrow, Dec 2, 2012.

1. stormcrow

stormcrow New Member

What are the options out there for top break revolvers? I know Uberti offers some, but I'd prefer something more affordable, if it exists.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The shortccoming of the top breask was the strength of the gun- it simply does not match up to the solid frame. However, in the 22/32/38 S&W venue, it loads FAST. Before that horrible boating accident I had several of the older H&Ss and Iver Johnsons- and they are still around if you shop.

3. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i guess it depends on what style top break you want. a 70+ year old H&R in .22, .32 S&W, or .38 S&W would probably be your cheapest route to buy a nice shooter but those are all double action & slightly different style. plus the .22 & .32 are small frame

another option would be an old Enfield or Webley. they had larger frames than the H&R guns & would be closer in size to a modern full size double action revolver

if you're set on the single action schofield style, sometimes you can get a pretty nice vintage S&W top break for much less than a new uberti.

4. stormcrow

stormcrow New Member

I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes out. I hope someone someday starts making new ones, but for now, I will hunt. I live next to a pawn shop, so... hopefully.

5. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Been shooting this re-nickelled S&W 1st model DA .44Russain for almost 40 years. It's a strong dependable gun though almost 130 years old. If you search hard enough you can find one in good shootable condition. Go for it and have fun, but be prepared for many questions being asked of you at the range.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  6. stormcrow

stormcrow New Member

You have succeed in making me a jealous guy. Also, nice spurs

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I just bought this little H&R 22 revolver for $40. I got it to part out but on a whim I shot it at the range and it is surprisingly accurate. So now I'll maybe keep it (at least for a while).

Attached Files:

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Love'em :cool:
    My H&R Sportsman - a woppin 3 digit serial number :)

[​IMG]

9. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

+1 these Russians never fail to bring the lookie-loos around, damn fine pistols.
    First model Russian as well

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Kool-
    Chrome & gold plate?
    Looks like stainless tho-

11. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Lovely!Gold and nickel are very attractive when combined on older guns.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Dude- Don't gay the guys gun up :p:p:p

13. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

The gold plate has been on it at least since the early 1900's since its been in my family a long time and documented, and maybe plated from the factory as a custom I'm not sure though.

Not worried if its gay, it's a she which makes it even hotter ;-)

14. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Appreciating something masculine with a hint of femininity is just an expression of my inner child.;) Actually I collect antique weapons and seen many that were factory nickel and gold. As a matter of fact they were considered macho in the 1800's and what was carried even matched their spurs. I think anyone carrying something flashy was a sign of being confident in themselves. It's a shame how the word gay's definition changed from just being happy.

I really like the S&W top break a lot. This is the first one I got back in the 70's, but being first year of production and in mint condition it was worth too much to shoot, that was when I got the other. I generally prefer sa's, but have learned to appreciate the old da's as well and this includes all manufacturers.
    [​IMG]

15. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Damn gunsmoke, me and you must be cut from the same mold
    Mine

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  16. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

MoreAltitude, you have great taste in guns and a good judge of character.

17. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

if you do wanna get rid of it, i'll give you what you paid for it....hell i might even go to $50 or even $60 :D

it would be nice to have a .22 & .38 to go with my .32

Attached Files: