top 5 favorite westerns

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by shooter57, Jun 19, 2011.

1. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

what are you're top 5 favorite westerns of all time

for me it's

Tombestone...........great flick
    young guns........loved them both.......great soundtrack too!
    quigley down under............the gun...........if you don't like this movie you're not a man
    big jake........had to have the duke in there. this was one of his best IMO
    unforgiven...........I know I know.....what about all the great spaghetti westerns he did.........before my time and this movie was great

If my dad were alive to see this list I'd get smacked up side the head for having young guns in there but hey that was my generation LOL

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Roscoe Lee Brown as Mr. Nightlinger in "The Cowboys"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd4VAjNkY6E]YouTube - ‪'The Cowboys' Mr. Nightlinger‬‏[/ame]

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Tombstone
    Open Range
    The Outlaw Josie Wales
    Quigley Down Under
    Silverado

4. user4

user4 New Member

Tombstone
    Outlaw Josie Wales
    The Unforgiven
    The Quick and the dead (The Gene Hackman one)
    Open Range

5. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

this was such a great flick. I had trouble between this big jake and the shootist for my favorite john wayne western but his greatist film was the quiet man without a doubt IMO.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I think of Westerns as a "Desert Island Disc" situation, and as such, I can't limit it to just 5 because there are about 8-10 fantastic ones that all bring something special to the table and need to be watched for the punching of your MAN CARD.

3:10 to Yuma. Either one, as I have seen them both and they both rock. They both will stand up to the test of time, but the remake had some BEAUTIFUL weapons and those Schoffields that Charlie Prince carries are worth drooling over everytime.

Unforgiven. This came out at a time when there weren't any westerns in production and I remember sitting in the theater saying "This is going to launch a whole new round of Westerns because of how great it is". I wasn't wrong.

The Magnificent Seven. This was a direct rip off of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. But if you watch both, you will LOVE both. They both share brilliant storytelling and great camera angles. And they both could have been shorter in my opinion as there is a lot of "fluff" in each. But, for all the fluff, you get those "I was aiming at the horse" moments that make you go "Wow!, what great writing".

Tombstone. No doubt the superior of the two films that came out that year and Val Kilmer hit a home run as Doc Holliday. I never wanted to be a dentist, or a gambler, except for about 30 minutes during this film. :cool:

Open Range. When Costner gets it right, you get Open Range. When Costner goes Costner, you get The Postman. Open Range is an epic tale of revenge that has a deep, dark secret of who "Big Money" picked on when they chose to apply pressure to "some free grazers". Great movie I can watch once a week FOR-EVAH!

The Quick & The Dead. You're kidding right? Sam Raimi.? Sharon Stone.? Russell Crowe.? Gene Hackman.? And an early Leonardo DiCaprio?? This movie is a MUST SEE for anyone who loves a Western. Sam Raimi is the film-maker who MADE Bruce Campbell and the Evil Dead Films. Absolutely EPIC camera work.

Young Guns. When people speak of stars of yesteryear and their "teaming" with future stars their own age you hear about The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, SCREAM, True Romance. Sleepers. Young Guns is of that same "ERA" quality of film-making.

The Outlaw Josey Wales. This is NOT an easy film to watch from beginning to end. This film IS an epic piece of Americana and should be in every collection.

Silverado. Scott Glenn, Danny Glover, an early Kevin Kline AND an early Kevin Costner? Just a well played movie from start to finish. Some great looking weapons in this one too.

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

The Searchers
    Big Jake
    Sons of Katie Elder
    Outlaw Josie Wales
    True Grit

8. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

1- Blazing Saddles
    2-High Plains Drifter
    3-Jeremiah Johnson
    4-The Outlaw Josey Wales
    5-Unforgiven

9. steve666

steve666 New Member

Big Jake
    The Cowboys
    Blazing Saddles
    Broken Trail
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Cheyenne Social Club

10. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

forgot all about blazing saddles...........such a classic. We were talking about that movie at work not to long ago disusing if they could get away with such a politically incorrect movie these days........NOT A CHANCE IMO

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DJFedRRSw4&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Blazing Saddles Greatest Scenes in 359 seconds - Best of - Fart to Fight‬‏[/ame]

11. Seven

Seven New Member

The Outlaw Josie Wales
    Tombstone
    Unforgiven
    The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
    The Searchers

12. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I will go with these.

The Searchers - The Duke is nasty and out of character in this one.
    Winchester 73 - Jimmy Stewert is a great western actor
    The Sackets - Good movie, and Glenn Ford was another great western actor.
    Silverado - Others have said plenty. Good flick
    Quigley Down Under - I continue to watch it
    As a sixth, 3:10 to Yuma, either of them

actually there are plenty of others. Some of the old Randolf Scott movies are gerat also, and even Sean Connery in a Louis L'Amour movie was good.

13. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

ummmm aren't we forgetting brokeback mountain?

JK JK JK JK JK JK JK JK JK JK JK :p

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Trying real hard to foget that one. :rolleyes:

15. ironsights

ironsights New Member

i don't think you can beat old westerns
    The Searchers
    Fort Apache
    Stage Coach
    True Grit
    and the Outlaw Josie Wales

16. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Legends Of the Fall
    Eastwood version, The Unforgiven
    Will Penny
    Monty Walsh, Tom Seleck
    The Stalking Moon

:D

17. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

[ame=http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/750922/]Mind of Mencia - Wetback Mountain Video[/ame]

18. Vincine

Vincine New Member

In addition to some of those above; I vote for 'The Big Country'. :)

19. Walley

Walley New Member

Shane
    High Noon
    The Magnificent Seven
    Hombre

I know that I will be called a hieratic but in my book all John Wayne ever did was play the same part over and over again. He came off the same way in every movie he made with no variation in character. He made a career out of just playing John Wayne. His only exception to this persona was in the Quiet Man.